Please help me with my ram Q.

Brendin Alvarez 03:56 04 Apr 2017

So i just got a laptop, it has DDR4 memory. The memory in it is DDR4 SDRAM 2133 MHz / PC4-17000 260-pin and I got another stick to make it 8gb of ram but its a bit different its DDR4 2400 MT/s (PC4-19200) SODIMM 260-Pin, would it still work? or no and i have to canael the order?

Archonar 08:47 04 Apr 2017

In short, no. Using 2 ram sticks with different speeds (i.e 2133 MHz and 2400 MHz) will not work. You can manually configure the speeds in the BIOS but I would recommend cancelling the order and ordering a stick that is the same as the one that you already have.

wee eddie 11:32 04 Apr 2017

Assuming that it will fit the Slot, it should work. You should then have the combined volume but they will only work at the speed of the slowest.

So, I disagree with Archonar's first statement but, agree with his second. Get a matching stick

bumpkin 14:14 04 Apr 2017

The OS is also something to consider as fitting 8gb to a 32bit system will be pointless.

Archonar 14:18 04 Apr 2017

Whilst it can work, there is no guarantee that two sticks of different make / model / speed will function together and I know of many people who have had instant BSOD issues when using ram of different speed or model. I was wrong to say straight no, as there are plenty of times when it does work as Wee Eddie says, but I would say that it is no guarantee. It is also affected by the cas latency, timings and voltage of both sticks.

As Wee Eddie says if it does work then it will run at the speed of the slowest so buying different speeds will mean that you are wasting the power of one of your sticks.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Microsoft Surface Book 2 15in review

Illustrator Amy Grimes on how setting up her own eco-brand led to success with clients too

MacBook Pro keyboard issues and other problems

Test : l’enceinte connectée HomePod d’Apple