PLEASE HELP ME CHOOSE THE RIGHT TV...

Marios 21:44 01 Jun 2005

Hello there,
we are going to buy a new TV / dvd recorder etc system as soon as we decorate our living room.
Will you PLEASE! share your knowlwdge and experience? i need to know:
1. what type of TV is the best? LCD, Plasma etc
2. where you think i should buy such a package from: eg Tiny? Currys? Asda? etc
3. which issue of PC Advisor had an article on flat TVs? I had it but cannot find it
4. Your own experience if you don't mind and any really worthwhile links to sources of information on the issue.

I would really be greatful if you helped.
Thank you all, Marios

User-312386 22:28 01 Jun 2005

Hi there

Lets start with how much you have to spend (and please dont say as cheap as possible as that will not give us a guide) and what sort of space you have? Do you want 5.1 surrond sound as well?

Marios 22:44 01 Jun 2005

hi,
not much space available, i'd say about 30 inch screen roughly and i will spend roughly again up to £1000

Marios 22:45 01 Jun 2005

surround 5.1 as well

Furkin 08:41 02 Jun 2005

To my mind, the Toshiba Picture-frame takes some beating, but I think the smallest is 32". I bought the 36" & it lives up to all my expectations, including 5.1 (plus other audio features,,,) 100 htz (for flicker free viewing),,, 5 in-put connections (3 x scart + component + a/v etc)
Basic DVD ? It's just a coincidence that I had already bought a Toshiba last year, though I got a Panasonic Recorder to compliment the TV. They make a terrific set-up.
As for Plasma ! I'm slightly disabled, & do watch a lot of TV. When I was searching, I heard many stories of Plasma being good for 'one-offs' but not necesserily for full time viewing. I'd love proof that I am wrong here, as i'd still like a plasma at some point.
Happy Hunting

Graham ® 09:30 02 Jun 2005

You really need a DVD recorder with hard drive these days!

I have a Pioneer DVR-420H, but the 520H has come down to the same price, £275 delivered. The 920H has an HDMI connector, £789. Both at:

click here

High Definition TV (HDTV)is the latest thing. If you're spending that much, I would go for that.

Google for more info.

Belatucadrus 10:00 02 Jun 2005

click here
click here
Richer sounds are always worth a look.

Marios 20:12 02 Jun 2005

Thanks for your ideas. How do i choose between Plasma, LCD and the other types?

Jackcoms 20:18 02 Jun 2005

This is a PC Helproom. How is this thread PC related?

Marios 20:37 02 Jun 2005

The magazine, apart from PCs, also presents, reviews, suggests and advertises other types of technologies too. I have found the members of this helproom to have been helpful in the past on a number of technological issues (indeed primarily of a PC nature). If you know something i don't, please let me know so i don't waste resources i shouldn't.
P.S. Does it mean you don't have any idea what type of TV is the best nowadays? (not meant sarcastically).

Jackcoms 20:58 02 Jun 2005

"If you know something i don't, please let me know".

Try this quote from the header at the start of the Forum:

"Got a technical query or a problem with your PC?"

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Print designer Kelly Anna on confident mark making & modern femininity

New iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs rumours

Comment créer, utiliser et supprimer son compte Facebook ?