Please help me allocate and optimize SSDs and HDDs!

fanmattai 01:02 27 Dec 2014

So I have inherited a few storage options for use in my pc... and I could use a little help in understanding how to optimize said options.

I have the following: 120 GB Samsung EVO SSD, 1 TB WD Caviar Blue 2 TB WD Passport Ultra (external) WD Black2 Dual Drive (120GB SSD + 1TB HDD)

I want to keep my operating system on a fast SSD. And it is a pc for gaming, and as i understand it only certain load-intensive games benefit from being installed on a SSD as opposed to a HDD. And I intend to be recording/saving a lot of video/audio data as well. I also do alot of torrenting, upload and download.

My initial idea was to keep the EVO as my OS drive.. use the 2TB external as a place to store my recordings and footage for editting... and use the 1TB for personal storage of everything else.

But now i just recieved the Black 2 Dual Drive and don't know what to do with it. I'm no expert, and only know what i do from google research. I know of raiding together SSDs, but i've read in a few sources that the Dual Drive's SSD can't be raided.

Would anyone be willing and able to best suggest a setup for me? Where and how do i use each drive? Would recording with a capture card to an external (USB 3.0) be problematic? Would torrenting constantly on one of the drives be labor intensive to my computer? Am I asking the right questions?

Please and thank you!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Dell XPS 13 9370 (2018) review

Best Keyboards for Designers & Artists

What to ask Siri on the HomePod

Meilleurs VPN (2018)