Plagued by sudden restarts and power issue

Pravdavoin 18:05 14 Mar 2018

I have been plagued by sudden restarts of my system for over a year and it is just getting worse. No blue screen and in event viewer i just get a generic Kernel-Power error (all BugcheckCode values are 0) it just restarts It used to happen with mostly very GPU demanding games so i suspected it was just my GPU overheating. And the temps on my 780 under full load got in the high 80s and if not for my system restarting i was sure it would go even higher (My new 1070 has never gone over 70 during full load still restarts so not a overheating issue). after capping my frame rate with RTSS lowering settings and keeping and eye at all times on my GPU temps i was able to reduce the problem at the time but it would still happen from time to time sometimes even when i was just watching a video. It also often happens 5 minutes after i am done playing a game and just browsing the web which seems to indicate it has trouble adjusting the power down or something?

Usually, it restarts in a second but sometimes it takes up to 30 mins for it to reboot again. (no fans spinning just seems dead then it eventually wakes from the dead) I suspect it's waiting for the capacitors to discharge. After the pc has been off for the night it can also takes 15-30 mins for it to power on (usually not when it's hibernating just when i turn it off) so I'm not so sure what that's about.

It has gotten worse recently and I'm pretty clueless about this stuff and i dont trust my own assessment if i buy a new PSU it will be a downgrade from what i had so i really would greatly appreciate a second opinion. Could it be caused by a faulty motherboard? Or do you guys think its pretty safe to assume its the PSU? I dont have a spare one to try.

The pc is also pretty clean as i dust it off often. I also have checked that there is nothing loose.

Some info from HWmonitor taken mid match in PUBG (it rebooted 10-15 mins later during the end game)

3.36 Volts [0xD2] (AVCC)

3.34 Volts [0xD1] (3VCC)

1.17 Volts [0x92] (CPU VCORE)

1.76 Volts [0x6E] (VCCIN)

1.49 Volts [0x5D] (DRAM)

10.91 Volts [0x7C] (+12V) Seems way too low not sure if accurate

4.96 Volts [0x7C] (+5V)

26 degC (78 degF) [0x1A] (SYSTIN)

32 degC (89 degF) [0x20] (TMPIN3)

127 degC (260 degF) [0x7F] (TMPIN5) This never changes its always 127 im guessing its a incorrect reading

26 degC (78 degF) [0x1A] (TMPIN6)

1.05 Volts [0x41A] (GPU)

35 degC (95 degF) (Package)

29 degC (84 degF) (Core #0)

33 degC (91 degF) (Core #2)

31 degC (87 degF) (Core #4)

30 degC (86 degF) (Core #6)

1.05 Volts [0x41A] (GPU)

101.28 pc (GPU)

48 degC (118 degF) [0x30] (GPU)

System:

MSI gaming z97

i5

gtx 1070

Corsair RM850 ( psu)

16 gigs of ram

haf xm (case)

NH-D14 (cpu cooler)

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Moto G6 Play Review: First Look

iPad 9.7in (2018) review

TV & streaming : comment regarder le Festival de Cannes 2018 ?