Piracy!!

birkdalite 19:05 02 Sep 2003

Many postings have appeared on this site condemning piracy software.But I think it takes a very strong will not to give in when faced with open and blatent sale of software at computer fairs. Having recently forked out 60 odd quid of my savings as an oap for Photoshop Elements 2, you can imagine my feelings when a friend returns from a fair with a perfectly functional copy for a fiver!and this was only one of a great many software titles openly on sale at all times. What does one do next time?? Sometimes it is very difficult for those on the lower income scale,or do morals and conscience come to the fore all the time, I wonder!!

I am sure you are not alone and I too openly admit that when faced with aquiring software cheaply it can be very tempting. Howver, my concience is clear and I have only legitimate software on my PC. I feel better knowing that if one day Microsoft or Adobe or whoever places a "bomb" in the software I will not be affected. By this I am talking of the now infamous Office 2000 Professional CD's that were doing the rounds. (By infamous try typing GC6J3, which is the first box of the product code into Google) If you tried to install Service pack 1 it stopped the program from working and you could not even get to view your documents. Serve those right for installing it in the first place.

Keith 19:16 02 Sep 2003

You can buy expensive but legitimate software or buy cheap but illegal stuff. It's your decision whether or not to break the law. I suspect you're fishing for people to condone you giving way to temptation - but you won't on this bulletin board. It's seriously unpopular! Keith

BURGMAN02 19:22 02 Sep 2003

I think piracy is tantamount to rape.

Djohn 19:24 02 Sep 2003

I understand exactly what you mean. I am in the same position as you, and excepting for a couple of very generous [Legal] offers I've received this year, I too have to save very hard for my Hardware/Software.

I have a family member, [By Marriage] who has every program you can possibly think of, all free and downloaded from the web. He lives close by and often offers these programs to me, when I refuse, he thinks that I am the one who is daft for not accepting. Very often I have been the "butt" end of lighthearted humour from him and others.

The sad thing about this is, he is on a very high income and could easily afford to purchase these items in the correct way. It's a strange old world at times. :o(

Pesala 19:30 02 Sep 2003

Everything I use is donated. Over the years people have donated enough for me to get some software, but I rarely pay more than £50. Much of my software came from PC Cover disks or free downloads. My ten most used programs in descending order:

1. Opera 7.20 browser (Freeware)

2. Page Plus 8.05 (£16 on special offer)

3. Irfan View (Freeware)

4. Font Creator 4 (donated by the author for help with beta testing)

5. NetObjects Fusion 2.0 (Cover Disk)

6. Star Office (PCA freebie for beta testers)

7. Corel Draw Essentials (£50) includes Corel Photopaint

8. NetObjects Fusion 4.0 (Cover disk donated by PCA forum member)

9. WordPerfect Family Pack (£70)

10. Route 66 (£30)

My experience is that one learns to get the most out of what few programs one can afford. Actually, even £200 is not a lot of money for a quality software package that one uses for many hours every day.

Those who get things cheap rarely appreciate their value. Easy come, easy go, as they say.

Have you ever read Crime and Punishment? That is also available completely free online/

R4 19:33 02 Sep 2003

It's possible to obtain legal second hand software or in some cases cheap new software on Ebay and other Auctions. There's no need to be a pirate.

jospar 19:49 02 Sep 2003

'Tauntamount to rape'

The only thing that can be compared to rape is rape.

Jo Bloggs using a iffy copy of office, doesn't cause Bill gates world to fall apart or does he have to spend years trying to rebuild his trust or faith in man kind, or does it causes him to be fearful about going past his front door.

sorry about my little out burst, sometime things touch a raw edge.

Out burst aside, I do not condon the use of pirated products. I can fully undestand why people choose to take a risk and use them.

If you compare some of the prices of operating systmes i.e linex, then why does windows cost so much, the production cost are the same!

The easiest way as far as I can see to reduce pariacy, is by reducing the cost of the product. Because if they are losing so much to pariacy then yes they will lose profit on individaul product, but this will easly recoperated by the quanity sold.

Jester2K II 20:00 02 Sep 2003

"then why does windows cost so much, the production cost are the same! "

How did you come to that conclusion?

Linux is an open source OS put together for free by volunteers.

Microsoft is a large business employing thousands of people in large offices with all the associated overheads!!!!!

The two cannot be compared like that!!!

This however i whole heartedly agree with...

"The easiest way as far as I can see to reduce piracy, is by reducing the cost of the product. Because if they are losing so much to piracy then yes they will lose profit on individual product, but this will easily recuperated by the quantity sold. "

canard 20:07 02 Sep 2003

Charity shop software? OK to buy/use or not?

Djohn 20:24 02 Sep 2003

Yes, I would think so, providing it's the original copy with licence. I have a couple of Microsoft programs that I purchased and have now removed from my PC due to up-grades.

Microsoft have informed me that it's perfectly alright to pass them on, and they will re-activate to the new owner. Microsoft have my full details, this is one of the advantages of registering as well as activating your programs with them. [They can track and allow alteration of details]. j.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Turn a photo into 16-bit pixel art

iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs

Football : comment regarder la Ligue 1 en direct ?