PIONEER DVD-R 104 Drive: Is this a good drive?.

Fiery251 09:56 31 May 2003

I've been tempted to upgrade from a CDRW drive to a DVD-R drive for quite a while now.

My local PC store's sale starts today, and they are doing a Pioneer DVD-R 104 Black-Fronted drive for £99.00.

Is this a reasonable drive to get?. At the price, it seems like a complete bargain.

I know its a 2-speed drive, and 4-speeders seem to be the "in-thing" right now, but for the purposes I am looking to use it for, it would seem to be a good drive to start with.

Ive done a Google search on it, and it seems to get pretty good reviews.

Any comments appreciated.

Thx.

-pops- 10:07 31 May 2003

DVD burners are very fussy about the disks they will write to. Check that the recommended disks are easily available at a reasonable price eg:
click here click here

there are plenty more suppliers.

Brian

Despicable Desperado 10:42 31 May 2003

At that price it is a good buy - does black match your system or are you not bothered? It is a good drive but as -pops- says make sure you buy the right media.

Fiery251 16:31 01 Jun 2003

Yes. Black would match my system perfectly, as its a custom modded black case I have. However, thats not important, I'm more concerned with the value and ability of the drive itself.

I am going to take the plunge and purchase one, then sell my CDRW drive to a friend to recoup a little cost.

Thanx for the advice.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

8 brilliant character artists speaking at Pictoplasma 2018

iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs

Football : comment regarder la Ligue 1 en direct ?