Photo scanner

Sam Colt 17:54 24 Jun 2005

My old scanner won't work with XP and it was on its last legs anyway so I now need a new one. I have dozens of negatives I would like to scan and I need a general good scanner.
I had started scanning all my old photos but my mate told me scanning the negatives would be a better idea as I was having trouble getting a good copy of the photos.
I was just about to buy an Epson 2580 as its got a negative loader in it or an Epson 2480 but now I've been told that these scanners cannot scan a negative "properly" followed by a lot of technical stuff about light that I can't get my head around. I want good results but I'm not about to submit my efforts to an amateur photography arts exhibition. Or pay £500 for a scanner.
Any advice would be welcome.

zemdarin 18:36 24 Jun 2005

I have a CanonScanD 123OUP and it scans slides and negatives fantastic, it is three years old now so the latest scanners would be just as good if not better. I usually scan slides in at around 600 dpi but if you want them bigger you can go higher. Epson are good as well though.

eedcam 18:42 24 Jun 2005

Well Sam Ihave an epson rx600 allinone which does negs and slides albeit 35mm only. I am no expert but the results are first class imho .This query keeps surfacing and there is always the technical arguments against Yeh if you are seeking perfection+.But for ordinary better than Boots results then go for it.

chub_tor 18:43 24 Jun 2005

I'm a Canon fan too with a D1250U2F. It scans film and slides as well as the regular stuff, the film/slide scanner is built into the lid and only requires the removal of the white backing sheet to bring it into play. I expect the new versions are even better and quicker.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Samsung Galaxy S9 review

Artist Helen Friel on designing paper models for everyone to make

What to expect at Apple's 27 March education event

Idées cadeaux pour geeks et tech addicts