Phantom Drive

olyman 13:12 04 Apr 2012

I have my data located on a second internal HDD with the OS on another HDD. I backup my data and system on an external HDD using Macrium Reflect in two separate partitions. I decided to update my data backup. I had to delete the existing backup folder through lack of space (permanently as Recycle Bin was to small) I did a fresh backup of my Data disk to the external drive using Macrium. Afterwards when I tried to close my external drive via "safely remove hardware" it said that I couldn't as the drive was "currently in use" (I have recently had similar problems in deleting files with a similar response). As the drive was not in use I had a look at the HDDs in "Computer". I found that as well as the "D" drive there was an identical "I" drive shown. This "I" drive doesn't show in "disk management". I wonder if this phantom drive has something to do with the "currently in use" problem. If so how do I get rid of it? Shutting down and rebooting has no effect.

northumbria61 13:23 04 Apr 2012

Take a look at Problem Solved by Frank D in this link and give it a try

enter link description here

The message "Currently in Use" really means just that - a file (any file) could still be open on that drive preventing it from closing.

olyman 13:57 04 Apr 2012

I tried the FrankD solution but no joy. Troubleshooting didn't find anything. I wonder if putting links from items on the data disk into the libraries on the main disk might be a problem. I'll try removing the library links. I don't find this W7 library function of any use anyway.

northumbria61 14:02 04 Apr 2012

I don't find this W7 library function of any use anyway. I tend to agree with you on that one - another one of Microsoft's "useless" functions.

olyman 14:36 04 Apr 2012

I removed the library links which solved the problem, though only after a restart. No phantom drive or hardware removal problem any-more. I now suspect that the library link between disks had been responsible for previous occasional problems when I was unable to delete or rename photo files because the "file was in use". Time will tell. Thanks for the input.

northumbria61 12:59 05 Apr 2012

Thanks for the feedback - pleased to hear problem solved.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Dell XPS 13 9370 (2018) review

The art of 'British' pulp fiction

Best password managers for Mac

TV & streaming : comment regarder le Tournoi des Six Nations 2018 ?