PDF /Quark Xpress/Publisher problem

palinka 18:17 03 Feb 2010

I edit a small church magazine, using MS Publisher.
One of our advertisers has sent me a new advert (as a PDF) it's designed in Quark.
Publisher doesn't recognise it/can't handle it.
Advice , please.
Is the simplest solution to ask him to re-send NOT as a pdf? But would Publisher be able to deal with it then?

Woolwell 19:32 03 Feb 2010

You can insert a pdf file as an object in Publisher 2003/2007. Insert > Object > Create from File > and browse to your PDF.
You can then resize it and position it as an ad.

Do you want to edit the ad?

palinka 19:44 03 Feb 2010

Thanks for that Woolwell. Unfortunately I'm still using Publisher 2000 - I should have said - but I'll see if it will perform in same way. The only editing needed will be the correction of a spelling , and re-sizing, but Publisher will cope with the re-sizing if I can get it to recognise the thing in the first place.

Woolwell 21:52 03 Feb 2010

I am not familiar with QuarkXpress but suspect that pdf may be the only way he can send it in a format you can read. You could try a pdf converter but run the risk of losing formatting.

Woolwell 23:00 03 Feb 2010

You can insert an eps file in Pub 2003 and 2007 using a graphics filter but whether Pub 2000 will support this I am not sure. Worth a try.

palinka 12:05 04 Feb 2010

I've tried Woolwell's first instructions, but it doesn't work with Pub2000.
Lazarus The 2nd , thanks for your suggestion - I'll try that.

Woolwell 12:22 04 Feb 2010

Publisher 2000 is of course quite an old program now. It may be time to upgrade or perhaps move to Serif PagePlus which I find is better and handles pdf quite well. You can get some of the older versions of PagePlus quite reasonably.

palinka 15:38 04 Feb 2010

thanks Woolwell ; point taken; it's just laziness on my part really: for the sake of two A3 pages once a month (and a job that I might be able to hand over to someone else later this year).......... But you're right! Maybe I will bite the bullet - and I have access to a copy of PagePlus.
Meanwhile i've sent a mesage to the advertiser explaining the situation and I'm waiting for him to respond.

palinka 10:53 07 Feb 2010

Advertiser has now sent in new format and all is OK.
Maybe I will switch to PagePlus - but not yet.

Thanks everyone

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Samsung Galaxy S9 review

Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 and 32 review – hands-on

When is the next Apple event?

Gmail : comment annuler l’envoi d’un e-mail ?