PCs with XP installed but no original disk

dmm27 19:30 04 Feb 2006

how wise is it to get a new PC with XP installed on the HD, and recovery disks, rather than having teh XP disk?

Are there likely to be problems in future incase need to do a clean install?

Zak 19:38 04 Feb 2006

You need to check with your chosen manufacturer or supplier as to what is provided. There are variations:

- Recovery disc with full WinXP supplied
- Recovery disc an option to burn yourself from preinstalled WinXP
- Driver CDs provided
- You are required to burn a CD with drivers from preinstalled folder

Finally any recovery or restore CD - ask directly as to whether full WinXp is on it and whether you can use this to make a clean install. OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer)versions will restrict you to the PC that it came with. Have alook at other threads which explain further re OEM.

dmm27 19:52 04 Feb 2006

looking at getting an Acer:

click here

or here

click here

and it looks as if you need to burn your own recovery disks, one reveiwer mentioned it burns either 4cd or 1dvd

rdave13 20:17 04 Feb 2006

My previous machine had a recovery disk and a drivers disk. I did a couple of clean installs with no problem. However I upgraded the graphics card and added more ram and the restore disk didn't recognise the machine.Meaning that to do a clean install I would have had to physically return it to original settup.

I've now bought a computer with an xp disk.

Dipso 22:47 04 Feb 2006

I bought a similar Acer desktop and it didn't come with any discs. I was prompted to burn them myself which I did, it took 2 CD's. I also used Acronis to make an image of the drive when set up as I wanted it.

As it only came with 256MB of RAM I took the risk of opening the case (and therefore voiding the warranty) and installed a further 256MB stick.

After only a few days use the hard drive failed. As I couldn't return it, I installed a spare hard drive I had. However, I was unable to reinstall the OS from the Recovery Discs or the Image. I was panicking a bit but fortunately I have a full copy of XP which came with my other PC, Medion provide an XP disc as well as Recovery Discs, so I used that along with the Acers licence number to reinstall the OS.

I see the machines you are looking at have adequate RAM but it's just something to bear in mind. The PC I bought was a bargain (£200) but I wouldn't spend a lot on a PC that didn't have its on backup discs in future.

jul 22:53 04 Feb 2006

If you want a Pc without any disc you could always do like my Sister did and go to Pc world.
Then when you Run into problems they say oh yes we can sell you a copy for about £60. needless to say she ended up with a computer that was totally useless for a while.

dmm27 23:29 04 Feb 2006

sounds like its worth having a disk, or take the saving of the cheaper machine without a disk and hope!

Catastrophe 23:36 04 Feb 2006

My opinion, for what it is worth, and I disclaim everything as I do not want to be sued, is that anyone who buys a computer without an OS disk is a complete fool.

Who wants a PC without an OS disk if something goes wrong? And something might go wrong ...

;)

dmm27 23:39 04 Feb 2006

Can I assume that things usually go wrong for you :->

Dipso 23:42 04 Feb 2006

I would definitely take an image of the system after it's set up in addition to the self made recovery discs. I know I was unlucky with the hard drive failure but if the worst came to the worst you could always borrow an XP disc of a mate and reinstall using your legit licence like I ended up doing.

I must admit though, I prefer having a proper XP disc rather than just recovery discs.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Dell XPS 13 9370 (2018) review

No need to scan sketches into your computer with Moleskine's new smart pen

WWDC history: Apple's product launches since 2005

Comment importer des contacts d’un iPhone à un autre iPhone ?