Is PCA a victim of it's own success?

pj123 11:47 06 Dec 2003

PCA Forum

I am on NTL Broadband at 600k. Because of the time it takes me to login I have just completed a 6 week survey. The average time taken to login has been 2 minutes 13 seconds. To get into the Forum to post this thread took 2 minutes 22 seconds. Obviously, evenings and weekends do account for longer login times but I have tried at various times every day and still experience very long login times. All other sites I visit (including those in My Favourites open instantly). I also notice that when I click on a thread title or the back button after reading a posting it takes over a minute to show. The blue on the Status Bar hardly moves. It’s like watching paint dry. Does anyone else have this or am I the only one?

[email protected]@m 11:51 06 Dec 2003

AOL 512K. Access site = 6 seconds. Login = 10 seconds. Often I am still logged in, even after a re-boot, so total time to get to Helproom, 10 seconds.

VoG II 11:51 06 Dec 2003

Try installing the hosts file as I have click here

bremner 11:57 06 Dec 2003

Other than yesterday I have had very little problem with accessing this site, log on is in seconds and forum loading is never more than 10seconds or so.

TommyRed 12:02 06 Dec 2003

I normally have no problem but yesterday and today have been exceptionally slow. In fact I can play a game of Solitaire whilst I'm waiting for the page to load. When it looks like it's stuck I click refresh which seems to help. I'm on dial-up in North Wales. TR

roygbiv 12:29 06 Dec 2003

Normally PCA loads very quickly, Last few days it has taken longer (few minutes) to load.

XP dial-up (tryed at various times of the day)

Jester2K II 12:33 06 Dec 2003

Removed the hosts file, installed Google Toolbar = WOOOOSH!!!!! Fast site again....

March Hare 12:48 06 Dec 2003

NTL 150k BB. No Hosts File. Google Toolbar installed. Very slow for past few days. Other sites OK.

Jester2K II 12:51 06 Dec 2003

Blimey - uninstalled Google Toolbar = slow, reinstalled = fast.

Is the server too busy?

March Hare 12:53 06 Dec 2003

Sorry!

roygbiv 13:00 06 Dec 2003

As i waited for this page to load (to post this) i had to refresh 3 times. This site is getting slower and slower.

PS i should of said dial-up (BB not coming to me EVER!) west Wales.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

iMac Pro review

Illustrator Charles Williams on how to create magazines and book covers

iMac Pro review

Les meilleures prises CPL (2018)