PC won't turn on - power button not working?

Chazcao 15:48 11 Jun 2017

Hi there

Sorry this is a little long, bear with me... hopefully someone can help me! Pressing the power button on my Dell Studio XPS does nothing, the green light on the back is on and the orange motherboard light is on so it's getting power. I've cleaned it out, checked the cables are seated properly etc and taken off the top cover to check the power button is depressing ok and seems fine (although I can't define 'fine')

One thing I noticed though, I'm no expert, but I was taught to press down the power button for 10 seconds to make sure any electricity is discharged before doing anything. I'd expect this to make the motherboard light to go off but it doesn't, it remains on for around 30 seconds and I tested this and this is the same amount of time the light takes to go off on its own, without me pressing the power button. So would this suggest it is indeed the power button that isn't working as it's not helping discharge the electricity? Or am I just assuming silly things? I hope that makes sense! I'd be really grateful if anyone has any advice to get my pic working because I really need it. It's waaaay out of warranty so want to see if there is anything I can do before spending lots of money that I don't have.

Thanks

Chaz

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Google Home Hub review

50 Cent is Iron Man in these comic book cover reissues of hip hop classics

How to watch Apple’s October 2018 iPad launch

Mac : comment forcer la fermeture d’une application ?