PC won't start up (not even fans)

Jacob Elfyn Morgan 13:06 07 Sep 2019
Answered

So I just built my new PC:

Ryzen 5 3600

MSI Rx 5700

Asrock b450m Steel Legend

Corsair Vengeance 2x8gb

Anyways, I got it nicely built, plug it in and turn on the PSU. The lights come on on the motherboard, but the power switch does absolutely nothing, no fans turning, nothing! I also tried shorting the power button pins on the mobo, but got the same result.

I've tried unplugging everything and plugging them back in (except GPU and CPU), and I've tried different combinations of the two RAM sticks, but no result.

The motherboard needs the right BIOS version for the CPU, but the box came with a "Ryzen 3000 ready" sticker on it, so that should be fine. But I'm wondering if perhaps the BIOS might not have been updated? Would this cause the PC to not even attempt to turn on?

I have tried stripping it back to just PSU, mobo, CPU and heatsink, again with no luck.

I have also tried using a spare PSU and both PSUs passed the paperclip test.

I have also tried clearing the CMOS.

Please help, I'm open to any suggestions!

Thanks! :)

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:25 07 Sep 2019

Check:-

all comnnections to motherboard.

you have not bent any pins when fitting the CPU.

Menzie 17:18 07 Sep 2019

Check the manufacturing date of the motherboard on the box. If it was before the Ryzen 3000 BIOS version; chances are that it wasn't updated and the sticker just means it is capable (after an update).

The BIOS version needed would be 2.10 or newer and the motherboard would have to be manufactured after May of this year to have that installed as standard.

Madona 09:06 09 Sep 2019
Answer

I had a similar problem but i had to change my processor . I am a tech enthusiasts and i post daily on my click here page.

Old Deuteronomy 09:49 09 Sep 2019

If the only problem was the need for a BIOS update, you would likely still see the fans run.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

iPhone 11 Pro vs Huawei P30 Pro: How Pro should you go?

IBC 2019: new video tools from Adobe, Blackmagic, Lenovo and more

iOS 13 release date, time & new features

Les meilleurs appareils connect├ęs compatibles avec Google Home (2019)