pc wont restart once shut down

timerep 15:49 23 Nov 2004

one of those days when everything was fine yesterday and switch on today and the unit just wont boot up. the power light is on but thats about all it will do, any ideas guys

Gongoozler 16:04 23 Nov 2004

Hi timerep. When a computer won't boot up at all, it's always difficult to know which part is the cause. if the power light is on, then at least you know that power is getting to the PSU. The only way to narrow down the list of candidates is to unplug/remove everything from the motherboard except the power supply, processor with heatsink and power switch. The computer should then boot and give a POST error signal (no memory or graphics card). If it doesn't then one of those last parts is faulty. The most common (and cheapest) is the PSU, so that's probably the best one to try. You can get a cheap 500W PSU for about £12 click here

woodchip 16:48 23 Nov 2004

Just sent a New Computer back only 6 months old with same problem, Dry joint on the Motherboard it works if the System case is dropped onto the desktop from 2" and will then keep working. But that's not solving the Problem, I sent this computer back three weeks ago with the same problem but they could not find a problem. As the return transport by road gave the system case some shake up and it worked when they got it.
PS they had tried a new PSU but it was not that

timerep 17:30 23 Nov 2004

Thanks guys I will try the sugestion from gongoozler and try to isolate the problem its had a new pcu recently which seemed to be stable but this has really started afet removing an old printer driver and installing a new one all worked fine then this morning it doen't what to play. I will try to find what is giving it a belly ache but since service pack 2 belly ache is becomming a bit annoying.Thanks again lads.

timerep 17:30 23 Nov 2004

Thanks guys I will try the sugestion from gongoozler and try to isolate the problem its had a new pcu recently which seemed to be stable but this has really started afet removing an old printer driver and installing a new one all worked fine then this morning it doen't what to play. I will try to find what is giving it a belly ache but since service pack 2 belly ache is becomming a bit annoying.Thanks again lads.

Gongoozler 20:16 23 Nov 2004

Hi timerep. If the computer doesn't even get as far as the POST, then this isn't a Windows problem. It could be a BIOS problem, or it could be that a connector was disturbed during the recent repair, but I'd still put my money on the PSU.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

8 brilliant character artists speaking at Pictoplasma 2018

iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs

Football : comment regarder la Ligue 1 en direct ?