PC won't recognise PCadvisor dvds

astral traveller 19:52 03 Sep 2010

MY pc will no longer recognise any PCadvisor dvds, when I put a disc in and click on the drive icon it says "please insert disc". All other dvds/cds work fine and PCadvisor discs have worked previously - over a month ago. I'm reluctant to do a system restore and would prefer to find out what the problem might be - any ideas?

Thanks

northumbria61 21:15 03 Sep 2010

Try cleaning disc or right click on drive - open autoplay - open folder to view files - click here to begin DVD

astral traveller 23:06 03 Sep 2010

PCadvisor discs which are not recognised - all other discs are okay. Right clicking on the drive icon doesn't give the option of autoplay?

northumbria61 00:01 04 Sep 2010

There is a list of suggestions here but I can't find a solution as yet - click here

northumbria61 00:07 04 Sep 2010

Which O.S. are you using ? I may have more time to think tomorrow or someone else may have a suggestion for you. If it had been one or the other ie; CD or DVD not working then it would have pointed to a faulty laser but as all others are working so that's not a possibility.

astral traveller 08:04 04 Sep 2010

the drive is a Sony AW-G170A ATA and status is "working properly".

northumbria61 11:05 04 Sep 2010

Hi astral traveller - there is an item here which best describes your problem - it relates to a Sony.
Have a read through it - click here- the last one by "b.ferneli dated 5th Jan 2010) is really interesting - it is intermittent with him it seems.

I don't know if it will help but you could try via Device Manager - go to your CD/DVD drive - expand - right click your drive (in your case Sony) - Properties - and choose "Update Driver Software" - if it doesn't make any difference you can always "roll back driver" OR you could choose "uninstall" then reboot. As it is plug & play windows should search for and find new driver.

That LINK above also points to a "firmware" update from Sony.

These are only suggestions which MAY help - it does appear that this problem is NOT uncommon.

You are reluctant to do a "system restore" but it may be worth a try and quicker in the long run. Whether it will solve this problem I don't know.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Dell XPS 13 9370 (2018) review

The art of 'British' pulp fiction

Best password managers for Mac

TV & streaming : comment regarder le Tournoi des Six Nations 2018 ?