pc wont display web sites

geeman001 18:31 17 May 2006

hi,
i am in need of your wisdom! i recently was able to purchase a dis-used fujitsu siemens scenic from my employer, pentium 4, 2.8ghz, 256mb ram, win xp home, at work it was connected to a network, and through the network it was connected to the internet, i have loaded my broadband modem software and drivers, and it shows the connection to be running, i am getting those annoying pop up ads, but when i try to view a web page, it displays the "website not found" message, similar to what would display if you weren't connected to the web, i have deleted the old network settings, and my set my broadband as the default connection, so why cant i view web sites, retrieve email?
many thanks

VoG II 21:21 17 May 2006

Try this click here

daba 13:03 18 May 2006

My browser (IE6) reverts to this 'mode' occasionally, and in my case the "Tools->Internet Options->Connections->LAN Settings "Use Proxy Server" box is ticked in error. I simply untick it and away I go.

I don't know how or why this occurs, but I'm used to it and I just about tolerate it. One day I may discover why............

geeman001 10:08 22 May 2006

thanks daba,
that was the problem!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

iMac Pro review

See iconic duo Smith and Foulkes' epic animation for the BBC's Winter Olympics coverage

iMac Pro review

Idées cadeaux pour geeks et tech addicts