PC won't boot to Windows 10 from SSD

remcopc 13:10 19 Aug 2018

I bought my PC years ago with only a HDD. I added a SSD myself afterwards. When I booted my PC after a hard shutdown/electricity fallout I had only my HDD in BIOS. I then boot from HDD, get an error and let the PC reboot. After a few times the SSD would be recognized in BIOS and I could change the SSD to default.

I got tired of this proccess a few days ago and found a tip to disable the partition with diskpart. The first time I had a hardreset again, I couldn't do the HDD boot-trick and tried changing the cables from hdd to ssd. This didn't help. In diskpart I made the SSD partition active. I now can see the SSD in BIOS, but booting gives an error "An operating system wasn't found.". When I retry diskpart, the partition could be made active again. It seems like this resets..

Bootrec.exe /FixMbr was successful Bootrec.exe /FixBoot gives no access error

How could I make my pc boot again?

PC: MEDION AKOYA P5367 D EU (MSN: 10015458) Motherboard: MS-7728 BIOS version: E7728MLN.209 SSD: Kingston SV200 (128GB) HDD: ST1509DL003-9V (1500GB)

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:05 19 Aug 2018
  1. why are you hard resetting your PC as this will damage windows system files?

2. Assume you have win 10 installed on the SSD? plugged in to the lowest sata port number.

3. As long as the BIOS can see the drive, there should be a win PE partition on the SSD if you installed win 10 correctly. just power on then off after 5 secs repeat three times and then let it boot it should then go into to the PE and from there you can do a startup repair or even a windows reset to restore all the correct boot files.

remcopc 14:13 19 Aug 2018

1) Only when needed. Yesterday my mouse and keyboard stopped working. New batteries and unplug+plug usb receiver didn't work. Pressing the startbutton of the pc didn't shutdown, so needed hard shutdown. 2) Sure. Sata 1 port. 3) Doesn't work. I press the startbutton of pc, toppriority in bios is boot to ssd, then see message "Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key". I then press startbutton of pc shortly and pc shutdown immediately. Waited 5 seconds and retried 5 times..

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:27 19 Aug 2018

Download and make the win 10 iso boot media

boot from that to repair your PC

remcopc 15:43 19 Aug 2018
  • This PC can't be recovered with start-uprecovery.
  • U need to choose which installation of Windows you would like to put back when using Systemrecovery. Reboot, select a operating system and select Systemrecovery.
  • No systemcopy available.

Seems like a dead end..

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:04 19 Aug 2018

your nor recovering you are doing a repair install from the bootable DVD/ USB media

click here

remcopc 16:14 19 Aug 2018

My bad, I translated not good. Start-uprecovery must be start-up repair. Repair isn't possible according to the tool.

May there be a hidden dualboot from the old windows on the hdd, preventing this? I removed the sata-cable of the hdd to try again, same results.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Huawei Mate 20 Pro review: In-depth hands-on

Adobe's groundbreaking prototypes of new features and apps for Creative Cloud

iPhone XR release date, price & specs

Quel est le meilleur Fitbit pour votre enfant ?