PC won't boot _ Windows 10

xania 17:30 19 Mar 2019
Answered

I have a Windows 10 self-built desktop that has been fine until a recent PSU fan failure caused some overheating within the box. Having replaced the PSU like-for-like, I now find that I can no longer boot the PC. Error message reads:

Disk error Press any key to restart.

However, not only does pressing ‘any key’ not restart the PC, but sometimes the PC DOES start up normally and then everything is fine. Similarly, when I boot from my Acronis Disk Management DVD, I can see all my drives perfectly and move drives around normally. I have also tried connecting an old HDD with WINDOWS 7 installed and got the same result. So I think I’ve ruled out all my hardware and all my software. Where do I go now?

PS All data safely backed up away from the problem so I’m free to try anything.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:12 19 Mar 2019

Disk error is usually a bad HDD or cables(connections) or PSU ( filing 12v line to power the HDD).

Check / change data / power cable (power cables should be ok if you have changed PSU)

Run a disk check on your C: drive

PSu should be OK if new but you never know you could be unlucky and have a bad one

xania 22:37 19 Mar 2019
Answer

Funnily enough I solved the problem myself. Its a faulty boot partition. I suddenly realized that the only time the PC booted properly was when I had a boot DVD in the drive. I tried this specifically and - it worked. So now I have my own solution.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Samsung Galaxy Fold review: Hands-on

Best Wacom deals for Easter

iMac 21.5in (2019) review

Comment faire pivoter une vidéo ?