PC won't boot up - Error PXE - e61

TheTechTing 00:54 25 Jun 2018

Hey. I recently bought a PC with an Intel Core 2 Quad Q8400, GTX 1050, 8gb RAM & supposedly a "500gb HDD". However, when first trying to boot up the PC, I'm met with the message "PXE-E61: Media test failure, check cable. PXE-M0F: Exiting Intel Boot Agent", then says press any key to try again. I am then greeted with the same message every time I press a any key. I've done a lot of research & lots of websites tell me to go into the bios settings, which I have done for hours, or to check that my hard disk drive is correctly positioned/free from dust. I am very amateur when it comes to fixing computers, so I would not want to replace the hard drive myself. But at the same time I would rather not have to pay for a professional to come & check, if it is the hard drive that is the problem. Please help.

wee eddie 01:40 25 Jun 2018

You use the word "recently". Is it not still under Warranty

Taff™ 08:30 25 Jun 2018

Is this a Tower rther than a laptop? Have you ever had it working OK?

This message is usually because there is a problem with the HDD. Either a complete failure or a cable has come loose. When you go into the BIOS does it "see" the 500GB HDD?

TheTechTing 08:47 25 Jun 2018

Yes the PC has a one year warranty & I only bought it five days ago. However, I would rather keep it as I feel like it would be very easy to get rid of this error. Also yes, it is a tower PC not a laptop & I haven't yet had it working since I bought it. When in the bios settings I cannot see anything that says "500gb HDD", which was when I realised it was probably a problem with the hard drive. Do you think that I would be able to fix it myself, even though I'd rather not?

alanrwood 08:55 25 Jun 2018

Don't waste your time just return it to the seller. It is their problem not yours. Tinkering could invalidate your guarantee.

Taff™ 09:12 25 Jun 2018

Just remove the side panel after removing the Power Supply. Locate the HDDand check that the two cables, one is Power & the other Data are firmly attached to both the HDD and the motherboard.Now with the side panel still removed plug in te Power Cord and start the PC with the Power Button. Do you notice any "Clicking" or the HDD spinning?

This will not invalidate your warranty by the way. If no joy contact the seller and explain the problem - see what suggestions they have.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:21 25 Jun 2018

Its trying to boot from a network drive and not the hard drive indicating a problem with he drive / cables a check on connections as stated above if Ok then get back on to the supplier if the HDD is not working.

wee eddie 12:03 25 Jun 2018

Anything wrong with the PC is the responsibility of the Seller (assuming that your in the UK).

Anything you do will, possibily, invalidate the Warranty and they will avoid having to deal with it.

TheTechTing 12:46 25 Jun 2018

Thanks for all of your help. I've still not made the decision whether to return it or not but the seller clearly stated that it had a 500gb HDD installed with Windows 7 Pro, so it must be the fault of the seller unless there has been a problem in the post.

alanrwood 13:37 25 Jun 2018

Even if it is a problem caused in transit it is still legally the seller's problem. Don't wait too long or you could lose your legal right to refuse the item for a full refund and return carriage at the seller's cost.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Samsung Galaxy Book 2: Release date, price and specs

This First Man soundtrack vinyl cover art is exquisitely composed

How to watch Apple’s October 2018 iPad launch

Meilleurs VPN (2018)