PC WITH WIN98SE WONT START?

SANAP 14:31 26 Aug 2005

My pc with win98se wont go beyond the diagnostics on start up, all i get is blinking cursor!! It has been fine since xmas, although I have windows on top of windows installed. All I did yesterday was download an update to avg that said I should re-start to complete the install, I declined and just switched off last nite then back on this morning and nothing!!

Help as I need a few bits. It is 6 years old now but was working fine.

I cant even get to safe mode.

sanap

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:32 26 Aug 2005

Can you boot to safe mode (F8)?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:44 26 Aug 2005

Can you boot to safe mode (F8)?

Diemmess 14:58 26 Aug 2005

Do you mean there are no DOS screens after switch-on?

No sign of video description, memory check and the other screens before Windows would start to boot?

Nothing before a black screen and a blinking cursor (top left)?

Any bleeps at all?

Sounds like a component failure but it would help to know exactly what you do see/hear.

SANAP 15:00 26 Aug 2005

tried that and it wont work, makes a sound as if it is attempting but just get blinking cursor

thanks for reply

sanap

woodchip 15:09 26 Aug 2005

Put a Startup floppy in and boot the Computer to A:\> then type as follows

C:\ press enter

at C:\> type so it looks like this

C:\>CD Windows\Command it should change to

C:\Windows\Command> now type

SCANNREG /RESTOR just as you see it press enter

You should get a blue screen with different dates to restore, choose a old date with arrow key then press enter and after try reboot.

Diemmess 15:18 26 Aug 2005

You presumably have a power-on light, is there a HD disk activity-light showing and how long does it go on showing?

The answers to all my questions would point to the stage where a boot-up fails and give clues as to the like cause. please try and list what you do see.

At the moment I can only guess..... but high on my suspect list is failure of your video card. The monitor cable connection is OK, because either the computer would not find the monitor and just bleep, or the monitor would show "No Signal,"and just go into standby mode.

SANAP 15:40 26 Aug 2005

i have to go out now, work calls, but suffice to say i got it back working, it is so long winded what i did that i will post later.

when i said diagnostics comes up i mean it checks video card, memory, then tells me the drives i have and then goes to blinking cursor, i did a lot of what woodchip told me.

more later as i am intrigued

sanap

Diemmess 17:18 26 Aug 2005

Good result......... Do tell what you did when you have the time!

I misunderstood you to mean absolutely nothing happened except a black screen and flashing cursor!

woodchips advice about scanreg /restore ought to be better known than it is. It can save a total reinstall. It only copes with the registry, but thats where potentially fatal changes often happen.

SANAP 22:53 26 Aug 2005

this is what I did and why it worked I will never know.

1. Did as woodchip said but when it came to scanreg/restore it seemed to stick at backing up files so I switched it off.

2. I then put set up disc in floppy drive and the win98se cd in cd drive. Started it all up.

3. When I got to a:\ I typed setup and pressed enter

4. Blue screen appeared and it said changing FATS copy 1 to copy 2 so I said yes

5. then it checked all files and reported errors so I clicked fix it for about 10 mins

6. eventually it came back to say errors on hard disk read setup.txt

7 I had a:\ and typed in C:
8. Then typed in cd\windows

9 C:\WINDOWS\WIN and return

10. It now went back to backing up files, finished that I was told restart, I did and it worked.

11. On boot up I got a few error messages eg on trojan removal I just clcked ok and finally got back in.

I would say hd may be getting iffy and may need replacing. I still think AVG caused a software glitch.

sanap

SANAP 22:54 26 Aug 2005

this is what I did and why it worked I will never know.

1. Did as woodchip said but when it came to scanreg/restore it seemed to stick at backing up files so I switched it off.

2. I then put set up disc in floppy drive and the win98se cd in cd drive. Started it all up.

3. When I got to a:\ I typed setup and pressed enter

4. Blue screen appeared and it said changing FATS copy 1 to copy 2 so I said yes

5. then it checked all files and reported errors so I clicked fix it for about 10 mins

6. eventually it came back to say errors on hard disk read setup.txt

7 I had a:\ and typed in C:
8. Then typed in cd\windows

9 C:\WINDOWS\WIN and return

10. It now went back to backing up files, finished that I was told restart, I did and it worked.

11. On boot up I got a few error messages eg on trojan removal I just clcked ok and finally got back in.

I would say hd may be getting iffy and may need replacing. I still think AVG caused a software glitch.

sanap

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Turn a photo into 16-bit pixel art

iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs

Comment suivre le parcours du père Noël ?