PC turned off and won't come back on

Tmjjmt 16:31 03 Apr 2018

I was using my PC when it suddenly lost power (there wasn't an outage or anything) and now it won't turn on again. The first time I tried to turn it back on, the power button lit up for a second and nothing else - subsequent attempts did absolutely nothing. Also, maybe a minute after that, the PC made what sounded like a brief sparking sound so I've now disconnected it from the mains to be safe. Please advise!

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:21 03 Apr 2018

If you're lucky its only the power supply unit that has failed (no fan sound )#

if unlucky it could have taken the motherboard / hard drives with it.

Tmjjmt 18:52 03 Apr 2018

Update: fixed. Still not sure what the issue was, I opened it up to test the power supply and the button. Couldn't find any problem with either of them but it's suddenly working again for whatever reason.

wee eddie 19:15 03 Apr 2018

What you have done suggests that there is a loose connection somewhere.

That is, in itself not dangerous but, should it disconnect again while you Hard Drive is writing, it could cause the heads to crash and irretrievable damage

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Moto G6 Play Review: First Look

iPad 9.7in (2018) review

Comment utiliser Live Photos ?