PC takes about 3mins to shutdown

GingerOverlord 14:42 28 Jul 2019

Hi,

As the title reveals, my PC takes about 3mins to shutdown, it's maddening.

I've done the registry thing whereby you change the variable from 5000 to 1000 to attempt to make your PC shutdown quicker - no joy. I've command prompted (as admin) and performed a scndsk - nothing found.

PC specs: OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Home, 64 bit Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3470 CPU @ 3.20GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 58 Stepping 9 Processor Count: 4 RAM: 16332 Mb Graphics Card: AMD Radeon (TM) RX 480, -1 Mb Hard Drives: C: 465 GB (75 GB Free); F: 465 GB (282 GB Free); Motherboard: MSI, Z77A-G41 (MS-7758) Antivirus: Avast Antivirus, Enabled and Updated

I get the feeling it could be a program or app...or something that is having problems closing. How do I check for this?

Any help much appriciated.

GingerOverlord

Secret-Squirrel 19:17 31 Jul 2019

......'safe mode'and shutdown, it still took a while to eventually shutdown................

That tells me that it's a Windows problem and not one caused by a rogue app or program.

Did you see my tip from earlier? Sleep will be a revelation for you if you've not used it before.

GingerOverlord 21:43 01 Aug 2019

Hi again (anyone still around?)

OK, so sleep may be the thing I use going forward, but... Another thing I have noticed when my PC is attempting to shutdown, on the shutdown screen, if I press the mouse button, it goes to a black screen as if I am interupting a program. Is there anyway to see what programs are being closed when the PC is shutting down?

Cheers.

Ginge.

Secret-Squirrel 08:51 02 Aug 2019

Is there anyway to see what programs are being closed when the PC is shutting down?

This may help with that.

Note that you'll need to edit the Registry because you're using Windows 10 Home edition so be very careful and don't attempt it if you're not comfortable.

GingerOverlord 07:50 03 Aug 2019

Hi,

I have just tried this. On shut-down, the PC quickly flashes up a few messages of what it's doing then displays 'shutting down' for about 3 minutes. I guess I should be looking for the last message it shows before it displays 'shutting down', shouldn't i?

Cheers again,

Ginge.

wee eddie 09:07 03 Aug 2019

Could it be trying to "install" something?

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Apple unveils first ‘pro’ iPhone 11 Pro and 11 Pro Max

InDesign at 20: how Adobe beat Quark to become the graphic design tool of choice

iPhone 11 Pro confirmed: Release date, price & specs

Les meilleures montres connectées (2019)