PC takes about 3mins to shutdown

GingerOverlord 14:42 28 Jul 2019

Hi,

As the title reveals, my PC takes about 3mins to shutdown, it's maddening.

I've done the registry thing whereby you change the variable from 5000 to 1000 to attempt to make your PC shutdown quicker - no joy. I've command prompted (as admin) and performed a scndsk - nothing found.

PC specs: OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Home, 64 bit Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3470 CPU @ 3.20GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 58 Stepping 9 Processor Count: 4 RAM: 16332 Mb Graphics Card: AMD Radeon (TM) RX 480, -1 Mb Hard Drives: C: 465 GB (75 GB Free); F: 465 GB (282 GB Free); Motherboard: MSI, Z77A-G41 (MS-7758) Antivirus: Avast Antivirus, Enabled and Updated

I get the feeling it could be a program or app...or something that is having problems closing. How do I check for this?

Any help much appriciated.

GingerOverlord

GingerOverlord 22:01 29 Jul 2019

Hi Chaps,

Cheers for your continued help.

I have disabled fast startup but this doesn't seem to have changed anything. I've not tried disabling Microsoft Security Health, shouldn't cause any problems if I do should it?

Regards.

Secret-Squirrel 08:58 30 Jul 2019

Could the Microsoft Security Health startup item be holding things up?

I doubt it. That startup entry displays the Windows Defender icon (and associated notifications) in the System Tray.

(But maybe it's essential)?

Yes, it is.

I noticed in your original post that you have an F: drive (which may be a removable dive) so did you follow my advice from a few days ago where I told you to make sure all USB drives are disconnected prior to shutdown? That includes printers that have a memory card inserted too.

Govan1x 09:39 30 Jul 2019

A couple of the errors point to Avast (which I uninstalled a few weeks ago)

Did you download the removal tool from Avast website to remove it. And has the slow shutdown just started when deleting avast.

Maybe also check in device manager for yellow exclamation marks.I had a corrupt driver on there when using W7 and also had the slow shutdown because of it.

I would follow Secret-Squirrel's suggestions, where I only guess what's wrong, he has great computer knowledge and has helped me out a few times.

wee eddie 09:52 30 Jul 2019

You have mentioned that you are running Avast - Free version or Paid for?

Do you ever run Malwarebytes or similar Anti Malware Software?

GingerOverlord 17:22 30 Jul 2019

Hi,

My F: drive is my old HD for this PC (sata). My C: drive is a samsung SHD.

I uninstalled Avast a few weeks ago but have only just used the Avast uninstall tool (today). I used the tool from safe mode and it appeared to uninstall something.

I have checked Device Manager and cannot see any yellow exclamation marks.

Ginge.

wee eddie 17:53 30 Jul 2019

So, you are currently running with no Antivirus and have no anti Malware Software installed.

I assume that Windows Defender has enabled itself. Better check asap.

I think that you need to overhaul your Security and check whether any Malware or PUPs have been installed during the interregnum.

Secret-Squirrel 19:05 30 Jul 2019

Eddie, I already mentioned that Windows Defender was running on ginge's computer. It re-enabled itself when Avast was uninstalled. The OP has not been unprotected at any time.

Independent testing shows that Defender is very good nowadays and just as effective as most of the big-name brands.

GingerOverlord 20:57 30 Jul 2019

Hi Guys,

Sorry to be a pain, Windows Defender is running and I do have Malwarebytes (a recent scan showed nothing detected). I have tried shutting down the PC again but it appears to be the same. Looks like I might just have to live with it unless any of you guys have anymore ideas? :(

Cheers,

Ginge.

Secret-Squirrel 08:42 31 Jul 2019

Looks like I might just have to live with it............

Very few people need to shutdown their computers at the end of the day so have considered using the "Sleep" option instead? Your computer should enter sleep and awaken in just a few seconds and all your running programs will still be there when it resumes. If you do want your computer turned off then "Hibernate" does the same job as Sleep but takes a bit longer.

If I think of something else to help with your pesky shutdown problem then I'll let you know.

GingerOverlord 17:29 31 Jul 2019

Hi Again,

Just another thing... I booted my PC into 'safe mode'and shutdown, it still took a while to eventually shutdown, I'm not sure if this fact eliminates anything from your investigations?

Thanks again,

Ginge.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Apple unveils first ‘pro’ iPhone 11 Pro and 11 Pro Max

InDesign at 20: how Adobe beat Quark to become the graphic design tool of choice

iPhone 11 Pro confirmed: Release date, price & specs

Les meilleures montres connectées (2019)