PC takes about 3mins to shutdown

GingerOverlord 14:42 28 Jul 2019

Hi,

As the title reveals, my PC takes about 3mins to shutdown, it's maddening.

I've done the registry thing whereby you change the variable from 5000 to 1000 to attempt to make your PC shutdown quicker - no joy. I've command prompted (as admin) and performed a scndsk - nothing found.

PC specs: OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Home, 64 bit Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3470 CPU @ 3.20GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 58 Stepping 9 Processor Count: 4 RAM: 16332 Mb Graphics Card: AMD Radeon (TM) RX 480, -1 Mb Hard Drives: C: 465 GB (75 GB Free); F: 465 GB (282 GB Free); Motherboard: MSI, Z77A-G41 (MS-7758) Antivirus: Avast Antivirus, Enabled and Updated

I get the feeling it could be a program or app...or something that is having problems closing. How do I check for this?

Any help much appriciated.

GingerOverlord

grumpy old man 17:13 28 Jul 2019

before you shut down use task manager and see if you do have a lot of programs running in the background.

difarn 17:32 28 Jul 2019

Have you tried methods 4 and 6 - System Maintenance/Troubleshooter?

click here

Secret-Squirrel 17:53 28 Jul 2019

I get the feeling it could be a program or app...or something that is having problems closing.

You're probably right but first make sure that there are no USB drives connected to the PC when you shutdown.

How do I check for this?

Event Viewer can frequently name the culprit responsible for slow shutdowns (and startups). When you know its name then you can do something to fix it:

Open the Windows Event Viewer, and in the left-hand pane, navigate to Applications and Service Logs -> Microsoft -> Windows -> Diagnostics-Performance -> Operational.

In the top-centre pane, look in the "Task Category" column for "Shutdown Performance" events that are marked as either Warning or Critical. The lower pane will give the time (in milliseconds) that it took to shutdown and sometimes the reason for the delay. Hopefully you'll find something significant there.

GingerOverlord 08:16 29 Jul 2019

Hi Guys,

Thanks for your help and suggestions.

Secret Squirrel - I have had a look at the Windows Event Viewer and there are a LOT of errors/warnings regards shutdown performance monitoring. From here, how would I diagnose what is causing these errors?

Many thanks.

Secret-Squirrel 08:33 29 Jul 2019

........how would I diagnose what is causing these errors?

Here's an example of what to look out for. In the lower-centre pane it says "This application caused a delay in the shutdown process" and names BitDefender as the culprit.

However, not all entries are as informative and only show the shutdown duration but it's still worth you checking the Event Viewer logs.

GingerOverlord 09:16 29 Jul 2019

Hi Secret Squirrell,

A couple of the errors point to Avast (which I uninstalled a few weeks ago) but the rest of them show info similar to the example below (not much info what-so-ever)

Windows has shutdown: Shutdown Duration : 17248ms IsDegradation : false Incident Time (UTC) : ‎2019‎-‎06‎-‎22T13:30:53.438938800Z

wee eddie 09:18 29 Jul 2019

It might make sense to consider the number of Programs that you have opening at Start-up.

Use CCleaner (or M$'s own) to slim this down to Security Software and anything that's essential for its operation. With CCleaner you can use the Disable Option, which means that if you really need something to open at start-up, you can Enable it easily

GingerOverlord 09:57 29 Jul 2019

Hi again,

I have been using CCleaner for a while now and on startup there are only 5 programs whcich are enabled to run. Could you suggest any of these I could disable without causing me any problems?

Yes HKLM:Run amddcopt AMD C:\Program Files (x86)\AMD\Dual-Core Optimizer\amddcopt.exe Yes HKLM:Run RTHDVCPL Realtek Semiconductor "C:\Program Files\Realtek\Audio\HDA\RtkNGUI64.exe" -s Yes HKLM:Run SamsungRapidApp Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd. C:\Program Files (x86)\Samsung\RAPID\CacheFilter\SamsungRapidApp.exe Yes HKLM:Run SecurityHealth Microsoft Corporation %windir%\system32\SecurityHealthSystray.exe Yes HKLM:Run USB3MON Intel Corporation "C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Intel(R) USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller Driver\Application\iusb3mon.exe"

Secret-Squirrel 11:24 29 Jul 2019

Ginge, paradoxically, disabling "Fast Startup" can sometimes help with slow shutdowns (and it doesn't even affect startup performance that much either). It's worth a try.

polymath 12:08 29 Jul 2019

Could the Microsoft Security Health startup item be holding things up? (But maybe it's essential)?

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The best of Gamescom 2019

Best free Photoshop brushes 2019

Apple TV streaming service: what, where, when and how much

Les meilleurs smartphones incassables (2019)