PC is stuttering and crashing randomly.

Daniel1211 22:38 01 Apr 2018

Hi, having this issue with my PC and a Google search hasn't helped me at all as my problem seems to be very specific and can't find anyone with exactly the same issue.

My PC randomly starts to freeze and unfreeze at 5 second intervals and slowly gets faster until my PC just crashes and goes to a black screen, it doesn't do anything after that (I have left it around 30 minutes in this state), if I try to open any program or shutdown/restart the system through the start menu the whole PC crashes, I have been hard shutting down my PC by holding in the power button whenever I see this stuttering as that's the only way I can get it to shut down.

I have checked all temperatures while it is going on (when I have HWMonitor running already) and everything seems fine so I'm 90% sure it's not overheating and throttling (especially since it doesn't stop once it's cooled anything down).

I have also run some benchmark tests (Unigine's Valley Benchmark, FurMark and AIDA64) and they have not recreated the issue and everything seems stable.

It does it seemingly completely at random with no pattern or time or any one specific program that's being used and sometimes won't do it for weeks.

All drivers and Windows updates are up to date.

System Specs (nothing is overclocked): OS - Windows 10 Home 64-bit CPU - AMD Ryzen 5 1600 GPU - Gigabyte Nvidia GTX 1060 3GB Motherboard - Gigabyte AB350-Gaming 3 RAM - Corsair Vengeance LPX 2666MHz 8GB (2x4GB Sticks) PSU - Corsair CX600M 600W

Any help is much appreciated as this has been going on for months and it is becoming a nightmare.

Thanks in advance.

Govan1x 00:32 02 Apr 2018

See if you can get it into safe mode and see if it runs ok on there.

take it you have plenty room left in your hard drive.

Have you ran disk clean up lately if not give it a run if you can and when that finishes another box will open click on clean up system files. let that run and see if finds and removes old windows updates. Could take a while if you have not run it for a while.

Then of course run sfc /scannow using cmd as administrator see if that finds and fixes any problems.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:29 02 Apr 2018

and run a chkdsk /r on your hard drive and run a memory test to check for errors.

Daniel1211 21:04 02 Apr 2018

Ah I forgot to mention I have run a Checkdisc as well and it come up with no errors, also a memory test comes up with no errors.

I’m not sure how running it in safe mode will help as it does it so randomly it could probably go for days to weeks without doing it and will make me unable to use my pc for what I use it for (gaming).

Daniel1211 21:07 02 Apr 2018

I have 165GB free on my hard drive as well.

Btw thanks for the replies as I didn’t think I’d get any haha

christinebelle 02:06 10 Apr 2018

The safe mode will allows computer to run with the minimum mode. After you stay in safe mode for a while, you can see if it freeze or not. And because safe mode loading the basic drivers and programs, so you can identify the problems easily. To get into safe mode, click here

Govan1x 09:47 10 Apr 2018

If still getting the crashes down load this and it will tell you what is causing the crashes. Once downloaded and you get another crash run this it will tell you what the problem was.

Click here

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Moto G6 Play Review: First Look

iPad 9.7in (2018) review

Comment utiliser Live Photos ?