Hot Topics

PC start up Problems Password request No Network

compumac 13:03 30 Jul 2020

For the last two to three days upon switching on PC there appears before anything else, a dialogue box:-

“We are unable to connect at the moment. Please check your network and try again later”

“OK”

Upon clicking OK you are able to enter your username and password and the PC starts up with the desktop.

When this has occurred before the solution was: - Hold Windows key down and press R. Then under Run: type “control userpasswords2” Uncheck “users must enter a name and password to use this computer” You are the taken to a dialogue box and need to put in the password and confirm same –Apply.

BUT I find that the “users must enter a name and password to use this computer” is already unchecked!!!!

I have not had this problem since 2014.

Any suggestions out there -

It might very well be caused by a Microsoft update but I am not aware of this.

I would point out that there are other units within the household that do not show any problems in connecting.

I do note that the connection is shown as being "Network 3", whereas other units display the actual name of the router.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:42 30 Jul 2020

check your boot order looks like its try to connect to a network first. this can happen if BIOS losses it power and reverts to default possibly a new CMOS battery required especially if 6/ 7 years old.

compumac 15:12 30 Jul 2020

Fruit Bat/\0/\

Thanks for quick response, much appreciated.

If it was the CMOS battery, then would not the time and date be affected?

In respect of the Boot Order. The FIRST item (highlighted) on the boot devices does shows the Sandisk H1124 240GB SSD as the correct device.

However another screen shows the following which I am having difficulty getting to grips with:-

Boot Configuration

Full Screen Logo Display (Enabled)

GO2BIOS (Disabled)

Boot mode select (Legacy+UEF1)

Fixed Boot Order Priorities

Boot Option #1 (UEFI Hard Disk:W..

Boot Option #2 (Hard Disk:Sandis..........

Then follows a total of 13 Boot Options with Boot Option 13 being (Network)

Regretfully I have reached the age whereas 30 odd years ago messing with computers I would have just plodded ahead, I now find it difficult to grasp current technology.

Appreciate any help whatsoever.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:50 30 Jul 2020

have a read here to understand UEFI a little better

search - type msconfig - run as admin - boot tab

what does it say in there? (note never use this to boot to safe mode as once in safe mode you can't undo it.)

compumac 17:22 30 Jul 2020

Fruit Bat/\0/\

msconfig - Boot Tab

Windows 10 (C:\Windows) Current OS; Default OS

Non of the check boxes are checked

Does that convey something?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:15 30 Jul 2020

That's exactly as mine is.

It was a long shot anyway as I suspected your problem is in boot order before windows starts.

compumac 18:19 30 Jul 2020

Fruit Bat/\0/\

I thank you for your quick replies - most appreciated.

Any further thoughts as to what to do next?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:30 30 Jul 2020

boot options for windows are stored in the boot manager on the system reserve partitionfor win 10

you could remove the entry to boot to network

Have a read here but back up the boot manager first and have some boot media to boot the PC from if you mess up.

I have a win 10 iso from MS on a USb stick to do repairs if windows will not boot

Govan1x 18:31 30 Jul 2020

maybe try Shutting down the router for a minute then on again. or pressing the restart button sometimes helps.

network 3 is the mobile network who is your ISP. Not plusnet is it.

is there any problems with the network drivers in device manager.

Or try control panel.Troubleshooting. and click on Network and Internet.

compumac 19:38 30 Jul 2020

Govan1x

BT is provider.

This PC is connected/wired direct to BT Home hub 6.

All other devices - one laptop, two tablets and four mobile phones (wirelessly connected) all show the BT Home Hub. It is only the directly connected PC that displays Network 3. In BT Hub Manager it shows BT Home Hub 6 as being connected.

Tried Troubleshooting from the control panel and it found no problems with internet connection or network drivers that I can ascertain.

Govan1x 07:03 31 Jul 2020

Have you checked which networks are available to you on your Computer and does your BT network show on it.

I would imagine switching off the 3 Connection and then clicking on the BT network and use that. It may ask for the password that is on the router.

I would imagine that could be your problem but as I am not 100% sure as I dont know if BT network actually uses the 3 network as well but would doubt that.

Maybe wait and see what others think. My thoughts are you should not be connected to the 3 Network

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

1x1 pixel
Elsewhere on IDG sites

Google Pixel 4a review

Zarin Baksh magickally merges the female form with fantasy

New iMac 2020 release date, price & specs

Les meilleurs gadgets high-tech pour animaux (2020)