PC Slowing Down?

2rich 23:27 05 Jan 2003
  2rich 23:27 05 Jan 2003

Hi. Can anyone give me some advise please. I have a small problem in that some of the actions on my PC are getting slow. I can type a word then watch
it appear on the screen a few seconds later, and scrolling is terrible because I can try to move a page down-- and it doesn't move so I try again--
then it will move twice as far as I wanted.
This is very frustrating. I have defragged and cleaned up disc, removed all unwanted progams. I have some 75% of space free on the HD and memory.
So what is causing the problem? Any ideas would be appreciated.

User-312386 23:39 05 Jan 2003

i am having the same problems with XP

i am going to do a clean install with XP and change the file system to NTFS

madboy33

please advise everyone with your system specs and i am sure they will be able to help you

Djohn 23:52 05 Jan 2003

2rich & madboy33™ your not by any chance using an active desktop as this will have similar effects. J.

dez fowler 04:21 06 Jan 2003

Did you upgrade to XP? It could be that you computer is underspecified for it. Although on the box i think it specifies it will work on a 450Mhz computer it actually requires something like a 600Mhz for minimum satisfactory operation. It is also memory hungry so the more the better, less than 128MB and you'll have problems.

Another thing you could try is cleaning out your system tray (bottom right of the screen) of any unnecessary progs e.g. Winamp Agent and Real Player's equivalent as these will slow the computer down.

2rich 23:08 06 Jan 2003

Thanks for the help, haven't sorted the problem yet but have to leave it until return from other activities in a week or so.Will click box as resolved until then. Thanks again-----Rich

2rich 23:08 06 Jan 2003

Thanks for the help, haven't sorted the problem yet but have to leave it until return from other activities in a week or so.Will click box as resolved until then. Thanks again-----Rich

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

HP Envy x2 review: Hands-on

Iconic New York graphic designer Milton Glaser on his uplifting new subway posters

New iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs rumours

Comment suivre le parcours du père Noël ?