PC Shutting Down During Stratup

Emerald717 20:34 26 Jun 2007

Alright, this has been happening the past three weeks. I turn on my pc, it will make the normal sounds. Then shut down after about 5-10 seconds. It will do this once or twice then turn on fully. A few times it hasn't done it at all. It will never turn off while im using it. Only during the startup. I did recently put another gig of ram into my machine. But I dont think that is the problem. Any Suggestions?

Emerald717 10:38 27 Jun 2007

I know the ram is compatible. I have 2 1gb sticks. Both are the same. The first stick I bought with the rest of the parts. I recently bought the 2nd stick, exact copy of the first from Corsair. Not sure on the model of my MB. Just that it is a biostar. Would the power source be a problem only at start up? Cause once the machine boots up after the few failed attempts it works flawlessly. Did the mem tests and no errors returned.

umbongo(uk) 23:08 27 Jun 2007

did you try unplugging your dvd drive .floppy drive any other drives like extra dvd rom and trying the machine again it may say floppy missing just press the f key to carry on booting into windows

by reducing the extra hardware .the power supply should run the system fine .but try first
then follow below

if it is working fine then id seek out a new 400watt power supply yours could be faulty or not supply ample wattage

without knowing you motherboard model i cannot search for related issue concerning it
ie i can find out if there,s a bios issue or tht certain ram combos have issue,s

look on the board (i know its biostar)it should tell you make and model number i need the model no to do a quick search on the above

Emerald717 23:32 27 Jun 2007

The info I have is a MB Biostar TForce4SLI NF4SLI 939

Does that help?

umbongo(uk) 23:53 27 Jun 2007

searching now

somthing else to try is switching the kettle lead(the large black lead going ito the back of the computer ive had faults with these on several occasions)if your moniter is old crt like mine just switch thenm over

umbongo(uk) 23:58 27 Jun 2007

you dont use the sli combination by anychance ie 2 grafix cards as this demands at least a 550watt power supply depending on gfx cards used

umbongo(uk) 00:35 28 Jun 2007

cant find any similar posts on the web
the bios update has nothing relating to anything (just a new boot screen)
other than trying a new power supply

online support form page below for you mobo give them a try

click here

woodchip 17:02 28 Jun 2007

As I posted above remove the last stick of ram you fitted then try the computer

Sobeit 17:10 28 Jun 2007

Emerald.
It could be all or any one of the above suggestions.
Adding extra hardware can upset bits that have been happily plodding along for months.
Don't ignore the power supply theory. It could very well be, i learnt the hard way. My psu surged and blew my board my ram and my cpu :-(
Expensive lesson.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Moto G6 Play Review: First Look

iPad 9.7in (2018) review

TV & streaming : comment regarder le Festival de Cannes 2018 ?