PC reboots without warning and no error

Cferg712 18:40 12 Jan 2018

So i've been having an issue with my PC where it reboots randomly and without warning. I've checked the fans and they appear to be working fine so i don't think it's a an overheating issue, and i've changed the power cable so i know there's no issue with that either. It is plugged into a power extender, but my other stuff plugged into doesn't seem to power off so i'm unsure whether or not that's the issue. I've checked a number of forums but i haven't found an applicable fixes so thought i'd give a shoot asking on here, and help or advice would be greatly appreciated :)

wee eddie 18:54 12 Jan 2018

You could be overheating. There may be an accumulation of dust inside

rdave13 23:53 12 Jan 2018

Cleaning the innards isn't a bad thing as wee eddie suggests. How old is the PC? If it's relatively dust free try running in safe mode with networking for a while. Dire graphics but workable. If it doesn't reboot in safe mode it could be your graphics/audio driver/s. If it suddenly reboots in safe mode then possibly a PSU problem I would think.

Cferg712 01:37 13 Jan 2018

whoops i forgot to mention, i'd cleaned it out about 2 weeks ago and the problems persisted. It's 3 and a half year old so getting on a bit, and it's never rebooted to safe mode - would updating the drivers be a possible fix then? Thanks for the response guys

rdave13 01:59 13 Jan 2018

and it's never rebooted to safe mode

Is that you mean it has never rebooted while in safe mode?

rdave13 02:16 13 Jan 2018

Try device manager and find your display adaptor and right click, properties, select 'roll back driver' if available.

Cferg712 13:39 13 Jan 2018

The last time i booted it up in safe mode was about a year ago i think? it's not been in safe mode at all since the reboots started happening. I checked the device manager and the roll back option was greyed out :s

wee eddie 13:52 13 Jan 2018

When you cleaned it, did you take the fan off the CPU and clean between the fins of the heat exchanger (radiator). Blocking the air's passage through the CPU radiator is the most frequent cause of your problem

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Moto G6 Play Review: First Look

iPad 9.7in (2018) review

Les meilleures coques pour iPhone 8 & iPhone 8 Plus