PC randomly loses power when the light switch is t

Steamed Bun 12:18 14 Jul 2018

Hi guys,

I recently bought a new PC from amazon (click here and it seems to have a power problem.

What happens: The PC loses power for a split second - turns off and then immediately turns back on again.

When it happens: When I turn the light switch on, when I turn the microwave on, when I turn the charger for the hoover on, it has a chance to happen.

This did not happen with my old PC (same house).

The strange thing is that the PC is connected to a UPS (which works fine, if I switch of the power supply to the UPS, the battery keeps the PC on).

So what should I do, replace the PSU?

I guess I wont be buying something valuable like a gaming PC from some random manufacturer via Amazon again, heheh...

wee eddie 13:24 14 Jul 2018

I would get an Electrician in.

Nothing to do with the PC. It sounds as though your House has an Wiring/Earth Issue. This could be dangerous

MJS WARLORD 13:38 14 Jul 2018

does anything else do stupid things on the same wall socket. how long you had the pc. do you know how to send something back to amazon , here's how.

log into your account and click on the pc in your purchases list. next click the return tab , you will have to fill in a box to say why your sending it back , a list of places used for returns in your area will come up , note , once you nominate a pick up point you cant take it to a different place as the pick details are part of the label you print off next.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:15 14 Jul 2018

Sounds like you are getting voltage spikes which a UPS will not protect against.

The new PC is probably more susceptible to the spikes.

I would get your house wiring checked out, an electrician will pug in a couple of meters to your wiring to tell if circuits are complete and sockets wired correctly.

MJS WARLORD 14:25 14 Jul 2018

hi fruit bat , before he calls an electrician out and pays £50 just for knocking on the door he could get a something called a socket tester , it plugs into a wall socket and has 3 different light on it , depending on what they do you look at an enclosed sheet that tells you what the fault is , I use one at work they cost £7.

Steamed Bun 15:28 14 Jul 2018

Thanks a lot Eddie, Warlord and Fruit Bat!

I'm moving to a new apartment in a month or so, so there should be any problems there if the issue is with the wiring of this flat.

I've only used the UPS (for PC + Monitor) on this socket, so not sure if anything else plays up if plugged here.

I could tell my Estate Agents what's going on, but at the rate they do things...

Guess I'll just have to be a bit more careful about when I switch stuff on and off, for these few weeks.

Cheers, and enjoy the rest of your weekend!

rdave13 15:41 14 Jul 2018

Might be a faulty UPS?

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Huawei Mate 20 Pro review: In-depth hands-on

34 tips for turning your art and graphics into amazing animated GIFs

iPhone XR release date, price & specs

OnePlus 6T : date de sortie, prix et autres rumeurs