PC randomly loses power when the light switch is t

Steamed Bun 12:18 14 Jul 2018

Hi guys,

I recently bought a new PC from amazon (click here and it seems to have a power problem.

What happens: The PC loses power for a split second - turns off and then immediately turns back on again.

When it happens: When I turn the light switch on, when I turn the microwave on, when I turn the charger for the hoover on, it has a chance to happen.

This did not happen with my old PC (same house).

The strange thing is that the PC is connected to a UPS (which works fine, if I switch of the power supply to the UPS, the battery keeps the PC on).

So what should I do, replace the PSU?

I guess I wont be buying something valuable like a gaming PC from some random manufacturer via Amazon again, heheh...

wee eddie 13:24 14 Jul 2018

I would get an Electrician in.

Nothing to do with the PC. It sounds as though your House has an Wiring/Earth Issue. This could be dangerous

MJS WARLORD 13:38 14 Jul 2018

does anything else do stupid things on the same wall socket. how long you had the pc. do you know how to send something back to amazon , here's how.

log into your account and click on the pc in your purchases list. next click the return tab , you will have to fill in a box to say why your sending it back , a list of places used for returns in your area will come up , note , once you nominate a pick up point you cant take it to a different place as the pick details are part of the label you print off next.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:15 14 Jul 2018

Sounds like you are getting voltage spikes which a UPS will not protect against.

The new PC is probably more susceptible to the spikes.

I would get your house wiring checked out, an electrician will pug in a couple of meters to your wiring to tell if circuits are complete and sockets wired correctly.

MJS WARLORD 14:25 14 Jul 2018

hi fruit bat , before he calls an electrician out and pays £50 just for knocking on the door he could get a something called a socket tester , it plugs into a wall socket and has 3 different light on it , depending on what they do you look at an enclosed sheet that tells you what the fault is , I use one at work they cost £7.

Steamed Bun 15:28 14 Jul 2018

Thanks a lot Eddie, Warlord and Fruit Bat!

I'm moving to a new apartment in a month or so, so there should be any problems there if the issue is with the wiring of this flat.

I've only used the UPS (for PC + Monitor) on this socket, so not sure if anything else plays up if plugged here.

I could tell my Estate Agents what's going on, but at the rate they do things...

Guess I'll just have to be a bit more careful about when I switch stuff on and off, for these few weeks.

Cheers, and enjoy the rest of your weekend!

[DELETED] 15:41 14 Jul 2018

Might be a faulty UPS?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Mi Mix 3 UK Review: Xiaomi's Flagship Slides Into The UK

Enter the geometric, gonzo world of Tokyo-based vector artist BloodBros

Apple Maps vs Google Maps

Test : le Mi Mix 3 de Xiaomi