PC protection alternative to Mcafee

collinsc 15:27 20 Jan 2019

Hi My Dads Mcafee antivirus that he got free with his PC is due to expire. Id rather not have him renew as i believe there is plenty of freeware that will suffice? Im runnning... - Avast free antivrus and - Superanti spyware free addition - Windows Defender as protection on my laptop.

Does this freeware suffice as protection? or should i install more!?

many thanks

Menzie 16:11 20 Jan 2019

Avast, Avira, Bitdefender, Kaspersky and AVG. All have free versions available that are perfectly good protection.

I use Bitdefender Free on my PC, it is lightweight and gets good reviews. On this site many others would recommend either Kaspersky or AVG.

john bunyan 16:16 20 Jan 2019

Only use one antivirus- eg not Avast and Defender. I use Defender and Malawarebytes Premium, as a malware blocker / remover. I think worth a payment but the free version is ok if you update and scan regularly. Superantispyware , for me , only finds persistent cookies

Wait for other responses

KEITH 1955 17:16 20 Jan 2019

I use Kaspersky , Malwarebytes and adwcleaner.

Glad to here your getting rid of MacAfee , I tried it a few years ago and Malwarebytes found things it was missing.

wee eddie 17:52 20 Jan 2019

To remove McAfee, you will need to download their Uninstaller from the McAfee website

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:54 20 Jan 2019

Kaspersky , Malwarebytes and adwcleaner. I agree is a good combination.

collinsc 19:28 20 Jan 2019

thanks all really appreciated.

Govan1x 09:13 21 Jan 2019

rdave13 used all the free security programs but recently got hacked. So you take your pick and hope for the best.

I hope that I have my facts correct with that as the hacking comment was hear say.

I don't know if rdave 13 is still about and using another username or not but he would be the ideal person to listen to.

john bunyan 10:10 21 Jan 2019

Govan 1x

I fully endorse your view of rdave13- now shown as DELETED in old threads. Rdave13- come back , you are needed!!

KEITH 1955 10:10 21 Jan 2019

As previously mentioned i would never trust macafee , i got it free trial on one of my pc. I put some bootleg cad cam from work on it but before properly installing it i scanned it and macafee found nothing. As i am geeky i ran malwarebytes and was alarmed that it found about 12 keyloggers , pups and spyware all with multiple segmants. The problem now was that rhe guy knew why his work pc kept crashing but if he had pretended he had used malwarebytes at work he would have got into trouble anyway. He has since left and the work pc's are still infected.

I also ditched the mobile version of macafee because everytime it did a cetain update patched i got locked out of my tablets.

Menzie 01:46 22 Jan 2019

One security program that never gets mentioned is Comodo Firewall. Windows Firewall has come along leaps and bounds but it still isn't nearly as feature-packed as Comodo Free.

The only downside is some configuration is required but once configured it can sandbox apps from the network, let you know exactly what on your PC is trying to phone home and more.

I remember Zone Alarm being a part of many computer setups. Are they still around?

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Samsung Galaxy Fold review: Hands-on

How to create a robot painting in Photoshop

iMac 21.5in (2019) review

Comment faire pivoter une vidéo ?