PC protection alternative to Mcafee

collinsc 15:27 20 Jan 2019

Hi My Dads Mcafee antivirus that he got free with his PC is due to expire. Id rather not have him renew as i believe there is plenty of freeware that will suffice? Im runnning... - Avast free antivrus and - Superanti spyware free addition - Windows Defender as protection on my laptop.

Does this freeware suffice as protection? or should i install more!?

many thanks

Menzie 16:11 20 Jan 2019

Avast, Avira, Bitdefender, Kaspersky and AVG. All have free versions available that are perfectly good protection.

I use Bitdefender Free on my PC, it is lightweight and gets good reviews. On this site many others would recommend either Kaspersky or AVG.

john bunyan 16:16 20 Jan 2019

Only use one antivirus- eg not Avast and Defender. I use Defender and Malawarebytes Premium, as a malware blocker / remover. I think worth a payment but the free version is ok if you update and scan regularly. Superantispyware , for me , only finds persistent cookies

Wait for other responses

wee eddie 17:52 20 Jan 2019

To remove McAfee, you will need to download their Uninstaller from the McAfee website

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:54 20 Jan 2019

Kaspersky , Malwarebytes and adwcleaner. I agree is a good combination.

collinsc 19:28 20 Jan 2019

thanks all really appreciated.

Govan1x 09:13 21 Jan 2019

rdave13 used all the free security programs but recently got hacked. So you take your pick and hope for the best.

I hope that I have my facts correct with that as the hacking comment was hear say.

I don't know if rdave 13 is still about and using another username or not but he would be the ideal person to listen to.

john bunyan 10:10 21 Jan 2019

Govan 1x

I fully endorse your view of rdave13- now shown as DELETED in old threads. Rdave13- come back , you are needed!!

Menzie 01:46 22 Jan 2019

One security program that never gets mentioned is Comodo Firewall. Windows Firewall has come along leaps and bounds but it still isn't nearly as feature-packed as Comodo Free.

The only downside is some configuration is required but once configured it can sandbox apps from the network, let you know exactly what on your PC is trying to phone home and more.

I remember Zone Alarm being a part of many computer setups. Are they still around?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:01 22 Jan 2019

Zone Alarm used to be good got taken over by a new company and became overly bloated so tends not to be recommended anymore but it is still around click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Elephone U2 Review

Ichijo Hikaru's riso print pop art is a celebration of the female body

New iPhone 11 (2019) release date, price & specs rumours

Les bons plans audio (2019)