PC overheating and rebooting while gaming

misutero 22:03 08 Mar 2018

Hi there!

Since a few weeks ago, my PC started rebooting every time I play a game like Kings Quest (2015) and FF XV. Sometimes it's right when I start playing, other times it takes some time. If I then wait some time, I can play again for a little longer. When it reboots, I hear the "overheat beeping" and I get the "CPU was shutdown due to thermal event (overheating)" message.

Here you can check my PC's specs and temperatures while idle: click here, when monitoring temperatures while gaming, my CPU max temp was around 50ºC (GPU was around 82ºC) when I experienced the shutdown. Even so, I reapplied thermal paste on the CPU, to no avail: problem persists. The CPU's heatsink is a cooler master with one fan. My PC is very clean, too.

I performed stress tests with FurMark, both for CPU and GPU and had no issue.

Is the CPU really overheathing? Both CPU and mobo are quite old. Is it time for replacement?

I have a cheap PSU. Could it be the cause of this problem? I've been thinking about buying an EVGA 600w 80+B. I know it's not great but it's what I can afford.

Thank you for your time.

Interestingly

AuldReekie/Morningside 14:36 10 Mar 2018

Check fan is working on the processor -unit may be overheating. Auld Reekie

alanrwood 15:11 10 Mar 2018

What about the fan on the graphics card

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Microsoft Surface Book 2 15in review

Iglooghost's hyper new music video gives a mutant take on Monument Valley

The best Amazon Prime Day Apple deals 2018

Comment ajouter de la musique à une présentation Google Slides ?