PC not seeing portable hardrive

jerica 12:55 13 Jan 2018

Hi, I've got a 500gb portable hard drive that my PC has stopped recognising, I've tried it on another PC and it's fine but my PC cannot find it. Any ideas, thanks.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:21 13 Jan 2018

Uninstall the drivers for it in device manager and reboot

Refresh USB Ports

Use Drive clean up to remove USB device drive info from the registry click here USBDeview from NiSoft is alos useful for this sort of problem Uninstall the drive reboot and then plug the drive in and it should be recognised

1]: [click here

or

MJS WARLORD 15:36 13 Jan 2018

hi Jerica , fruitbats answer should work , if it doesn't then try using something else on the same usb socket to eliminate a faulty usb

jerica 14:58 15 Jan 2018

Recognising that one, now doesn't like the other one I've got. Don't you just love PCs.

Jollyjohn 15:42 15 Jan 2018

May I suggest assigning a drive letter to each ext hard drive. When connected and working go to Disk Management and Right Click on ext hdd and assign a drive letter, preferably higher than any existing drives.

I recently assigned x, y, z to three ext hard drives that were swapped between two laptops - the new drive letters were recognised by both laptops.

jerica 14:42 18 Mar 2018

Hi, still cannot get my pc to recognise my portable HD, tried everything that has been suggested to no avail, and it is still ok when plugged into any other pc. It was recognised for about a day and now all that happens is the connection bing bong sounds again and again but nothing shows on the pc. Help!

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Moto G6 Play Review: First Look

iPad 9.7in (2018) review

Les meilleures coques pour iPhone 8 & iPhone 8 Plus