PC not booting from CD or HDD

the_234 17:03 29 Jun 2018

I have old assembled desktop computer with a Intel Pentium 2 gen processor, 2 gbs of RAM and 160 GB ide hard disk with support for CD ROM booting. Recently I thought of upgrading it to Linux from windows xp. At a stage of installing Linux I formated hard disk and selected option use entire disk and then Linux started installing but few moments later it just freezed. Then I turned off my PC and tried to boot from CD and all I saw was a black screen and a blinking cursor. I even tried other hard disks even but they neither booted. But sometimes its booting till Ubuntu splash screen while installing and then freezes. BIOS works fine. Need a solution

Archie44 18:27 29 Jun 2018

What make and model of pc very important to know

and how did you get hold of the linux disc was it an old one etc and is the computer 32 bit or 64 bit.

Archie44 18:27 29 Jun 2018

it could be the disc cd or dvd drive isnt working properly

Archie44 18:29 29 Jun 2018

chances are if you had xp its been wiped by linux but im now concluding that the disc might be for 64 bit computer whereas your pc might be 32 bit

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:45 29 Jun 2018

Agree with Archie44

with such an old machine, you need a 32bit version of limux. Windows will be gone and the drive formatted in a linux style file system not recognisable by windows.

Set BIOS to boot from CD as first boot device and burn a 32 bit version of linux to a cd and restart the installation.

the_234 00:28 30 Jun 2018

I even tries 32 bit operating systems. Even plop boot manager did not work. Also note that the internal speaker gives a single beep while booting.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:33 30 Jun 2018

Single beep is good it means BIOS has past POST (power on self tests) no hardware problems.

boot from a live CD and use Gparted to remove all partitions format the hard drive. Then reinstall to hard drive.

the_234 17:22 30 Jun 2018

I tired 32 bit operating systems too. The same error black screen with blinking cursor.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Microsoft Surface Book 2 15in review

Illustrator Amy Grimes on how setting up her own eco-brand led to success with clients too

MacBook Pro keyboard issues and other problems

Test : l’enceinte connectée HomePod d’Apple