PC monitors are black when turning on the PC

barley1 19:25 26 May 2017

So i'm going to start with my life story.. Two weeks ago i had an issue where my pc cut out and wouldn't turn back on, this got taken to the repair shop and found out the cause was my graphics card which had died. I recently got my PC back yesterday and purchased a new graphics card today. I plugged in the graphics card and turned on the PC and everything worked as normal again. I logged into my account and i am on as normal. I insert the disk for the graphics to install the drivers, that all went through fine. It asked my to reboot so i did. Upon rebooting it was going to a screen saying please reboot and change your boot settings in you bios, or something on the lines of that, i phoned my pc support about this and they told me to reset to default(f5) in my bios settings to change the boot set up order. I did this and the boot set up order rearranged it self. It seemed to of put the CD/DVD drive first, i mentioned this to support and they said put the SSD first, i couldn't tell which one this was as both hard drives just said "hard drive" so the support told me to f10 to save and reset. I did this and it just took my to a black screen, they told to power down and power back up. once again black screen again. They told me to remove the motherboard battery for 10 seconds, i did this put it back in, turn the pc back on, black screen again. They told me to re sit my RAM by taking it out and putting it back in, black screen again..

tl;tr Pc monitors are black when turning on the pc. My pc was fine before resetting back to defaults in bios, tried every troubleshooting method, nothing wrong with the hardware, don't want to take it back to the local pc repair shop and wait another 2 weeks..

rdave13 19:44 26 May 2017

Remove the dedicated card and connect one monitor to the motherboard's GPU output. If it boots up ok and also reboots ok then you have a chance to install the latest drivers for your dedicated card from their online resources. Onboard graphics are disabled usually if a dedicated card is inserted to the mobo so you're starting afresh. One step at a time .

barley1 19:56 26 May 2017

Hi, thanks for the reply, the thing is my motherboard has no connections on it for the monitors

barley1 20:00 26 May 2017

my motherboard is a ASUS® X79 DELUXE: INTEL® SOCKET LG2011 if this helps

rdave13 20:42 26 May 2017

Hi, thanks for the reply, the thing is my motherboard has no connections on it for the monitors

So I see, link and no support for Windows basic display driver. The more I read about Asus the more I keep away - but just my thoughts.

I would contact Asus with your problem.

Let us know how you get on... would appreciate it.

lotvic 23:12 26 May 2017

This could possibly be a EUFI and SSD drive issue, and GPT v MBR. You have described the BIOS being set back to default, that seems have confused the workable boot order. This depends on how Windows was installed - legacy mode etc. (I'm not expert in this, others will know better)

Once scenario is you have to set boot to 'Windows Boot Manager' to get it to boot to the SSD drive.

Others will know the correct questions to ask you to find out your setup.

In the meantime, although you can't boot into Windows, can you access the BIOS setup and display it on monitor?

What is listed in BIOS boot menu options?

rdave13 23:56 26 May 2017

lotvic , Asus have a multitude of mobo settings that's complicated for normal users. A simple UEFI/BIOS mobo with minimal settings makes life easier. bumkin's post highlights this with an Asus mobo. As for anything from Windows 8 (original) UEFI is the norm. Compatibility Support Module should not be selected on a GPT disk as a GPT disk will support many partitions, required with Windows 10. Unfortunately OEM discs still come initialized as MBR. Hence the problems that advice is given to modify UEFI to legacy mode instead of converting a new disk to GPT first on another PC/Laptop if you intend to install a Windows OS 8.1 or higher.

1]: [click here

lotvic 14:47 27 May 2017

rdave13, absolutely agree, there are too many variables to be able to give specific advice without knowing exactly the way it is setup (I've not the hands-on experience to give that type of advice anyway) :(

barley1 12:53 28 May 2017

"This could possibly be a EUFI and SSD drive issue, and GPT v MBR. You have described the BIOS being set back to default, that seems have confused the workable boot order. This depends on how Windows was installed - legacy mode etc. (I'm not expert in this, others will know better) Once scenario is you have to set boot to 'Windows Boot Manager' to get it to boot to the SSD drive. Others will know the correct questions to ask you to find out your setup. In the meantime, although you can't boot into Windows, can you access the BIOS setup and display it on monitor? What is listed in BIOS boot menu options?"

Thanks for your reply! i can't get access to the bios setup because it's just a black screen when i turn it on

lotvic 13:43 28 May 2017

Take out graphic card and reinsert it. It seems like you may have disturbed the connection.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Moto G6 Play Review: First Look

iPad 9.7in (2018) review

Les meilleures coques pour iPhone 8 & iPhone 8 Plus