PC loses power and restarts

Gfk40 18:01 06 Dec 2016
Answered

Hi all, I looked all over the internet and could not really find a solution to my problem so I decided o ask here. My PC randomly loses power (like someone plugged it out of a power socket) and restarts after 2-3 seconds. I got it barely 2 months ago and it worked fine until about 3 weeks ago (with no hardware changes being made and only software change was a windows update 2 days before problems started).

My specs are: CPU -- Intel i7 6700 Quad-Core

Motherboard -- MSI H110M PRO-VD

RAM -- Crucial 16GB Kit (8GBx2) DDR4 2133 MT/s

Graphics -- Nvidia Geforce GTX1070 8GB Gainward

Storage -- 1TB Toshiba HDD, 256GB Intenso SSD (Main drive with Windows 10 Pro)

Power Supply -- 530 Watt Thermaltake 80+Bronze

Case -- Design Midi Tower Sharkoon VG4 Black USB3.0

Optical Drive -- LG 24x DVDRW SATA

It does not seem to have any pattern when it happens, it can happen after putting it under heavy load for 6+ hours or after it has been off for the whole night. I tried stripping it down bit by bit and it still happened even after only thing left in it was the motherboard(with the processor and its cooler on it), PSU and of course, the case. My current working theory is that its a faulty PSU (even though this one is brand new and about 120W above recommended wattage for my PC) or some kind of shorting happening with the motherboard. However, what confuses me is that when restarts happen, it is not usable for about 2-3 days (it will restart at random intervals, usually 2-3 minutes after turning it on) but if I leave it unplugged for 2-3 days it works perfectly fine for 4-5 days and after that restarts start happening again. It feels to me like there is some sort of buildup of electricity(?) that makes it restart itself and dissipates if I leave it unplugged for several days until I start using it again (this is just my amateurish guess but I am out of ideas and this is what it feels like). When it works, it works perfectly fine, no FPS dips, temperatures inside the recommend rates and without even flinching.

I am on the verge of buying a new PSU to test it out but would like to ask around if anyone is familiar with these kind of problems and can offer any solution before I spend my money. I appreciate any and all help you can provide. Cheers.

Bris 19:13 06 Dec 2016

As its only a couple of months old your best bet would have been to return it, however, as you have stripped it down you will have invalidated your warranty.

You could try the supplier to see if they would consider replacing or repairing it but failing that from what you have tried then the problem is either the PSU or the motherboard.

As its much cheaper to buy a new PSU than a motherboard then that's the route I would go down but rather than going for an 80+ unit I would buy a cheap one for £20 just for testing purposes and if that behaves the same way at least you wont have waisted too much money and you can always keep it as a spare for future testing purposes should the need arise.

Gfk40 21:43 08 Dec 2016

Thanks for your answer.

I bought all the parts online so returning them (specifically the motherboard and PSU) could potentially cost me more than buying them new (yay for my country, it is the reason why I bought all of the things online). I'll try getting a new PSU since that seems to be the most suggested thing from what I've read and cross my fingers that it'll work fine after that.

Is there anything that I can do to narrow it down between the motherboard and the PSU?

Archonar 22:32 08 Dec 2016
Answer

The best way to narrow it down between two components is to replace one (usually with something borrowed so that it doesn't cost you anything) and see if that fixes the problem. I.e if you can borrow a psu and it solves the issue then you know its the cause of the problem, if it doesn't sort it then you know you need to look elsewhere.

Gfk40 12:49 11 Dec 2016

Yeah, I get that, I was thinking more about testing them before I go and buy something since both parts are somewhat pricey (considering I just bought this machine). However, thank you both for your answers, I'll begin with the PSU and than move on to the motherboard if PSU is not the problem.

rdave13 14:30 11 Dec 2016

My bet is the PSU. If it works ok after replacing the PSU with a cheaper version then RMA the original and ask for a replacement.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Qualcomm Snapdragon 855 release date & specs

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2019 is 'Living Coral'

Can Macs Get Viruses & Do Macs Need Antivirus Software?

Comment baisser votre ping ?