PC lagging all of a sudden

vonkvass 18:25 05 Sep 2018

Hi. Recently I've replaced my old broken HDD with a new SSD. Everything was fine until one time when my PC started lagging. Machine was working fine for an hour, sometimes a couple of hours, but then all of a sudden everything was slowing down. It's like that for about a week now. Sometimes, when I'm quick enough and press ctrl + alt + del right after it starts to lag, the PC goes back to normal, which is weird. I'm running out of options. I performed a disc check and there were no errors, I tried reseating my SSD, RAM and Video card, but it didn't help. I'm also dusting my PC regurarly. Can anyone help me with this. It's driving me crazy. Thanks.

MJS WARLORD 22:02 05 Sep 2018

open task manager , how many apps does it say you have running when is slows down.

vonkvass 13:34 06 Sep 2018

Thanks for a reply. I'll have a look at the task manager as soon as my PC starts lagging again. The worst thing about this is that it's unpredictable and can happen any time, so I have to wait.

MJS WARLORD 17:53 06 Sep 2018

check all yours browser extentions and add ins you could have something running in the background you don't know about , also look in add and remove for items you don't recognise as you may have downloaded and installed something you don't know about.

IMPORTANT... if you do find anything and delete check start up menu for any items related to what you got rid of, if you don't your pc will run slow because start up will be searching for something you don't have.

vonkvass 08:07 08 Sep 2018

Okay, I don't think that any program is causing this issue. Lately though, I noticed that my PC sometimes won't even boot. It gives my black screen just before the login screen should appear (windows 10) and it stay there forever, so I am forced to restart. After the restart it comes back to normal, but it happens again later. I really don't know what's going on here. I'll get my AV to perform a full scan and see where this goes.

rdave13 11:26 08 Sep 2018

Could be your display driver but there's a troubleshoot list here for black screen. Try the easiest fixes first.

vonkvass 18:57 09 Sep 2018

I doubt the drivers are an issue. My PC has a brand new SSD and I had to reinstall everything, including drivers, so I'm sure they are up to date. I don't know what to think about this situation. For 2 days now, there is no lag and PC works fine... I doubt though that the issue just magically disappeared. I'll look for other options... In the meantime, I'd like to know any more suggestions from you guys.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Huawei Mate 20 Pro review: In-depth hands-on

See concept art from groundbreaking video games including The Last of Us, Journey and No Man's Sky

iPhone XR release date, price & specs

Les meilleurs VPN pour Kodi (2018)