PC keeps dying on me then restarts

Callum MacArthur 20:29 28 Jul 2018

Okay so I bought a second hand pc on facebook just to start me off with pc gaming as im tired of consoles, but it keeps shutting down then restarting and since im new i have absolutely no idea whats causing it.

specs are:

I5 2320 CPU overclocked to 3.1GHz

2x 4GB Corsair DDR3 RAM

64GB SSD

300GB and a 500GB HHD

NVIDIA GTX 560 TI GPU

Gigabyte H67M-D2-B3 Motherboard

and i cant see what PSU i have but it looks kind of cheap to me. it doesn't blue screen before shutting down or anything, so im wondering if running games can put more strain on the PSU and thats why its not blue screening? its also powering 3 fans, RGB and a water cooling pump.

I'm still very new to this and have no idea how to determine whats causing this so your help would be much appreciated. Thanks!

wee eddie 21:14 28 Jul 2018

This is summer. Overheating often causes such problems.

Cleaning the insides will be a journey of of discovery. It need cost you nothing if you can borrow a hairdryer and a half inch paint brush. Beware of static electricity though

Callum MacArthur 22:18 28 Jul 2018

I have cleaned the components and used pressurized air to dust them and ive had the panel of the tower off with a powerful fan blowing into the pc, I believe its not got anything to do with heating issues

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 23:22 28 Jul 2018

Look in event veiwer to see what errors are shown

Callum MacArthur 17:28 29 Jul 2018

fruit bat, i have absolutely no idea what im looking for in the event viewer

and rjman, i have noticed the ram is getting close to its cap but it hasn't been reaching 100% while ive been playing. ive also been keeping an eye on its temperature and nothing is out of the ordinary

rdave13 18:53 29 Jul 2018

No expert on overclocking but it could be that.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:07 29 Jul 2018

click mt link in the first post and it explains hw to use event viewer

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Samsung Galaxy Book 2: Release date, price and specs

This First Man soundtrack vinyl cover art is exquisitely composed

How to watch Apple’s October 2018 iPad launch

Meilleurs VPN (2018)