PC keeps crashing

chesterfield 11:53 05 Nov 2005

My PC keeps crashing (shutting down) with increasing regularity.

I know there isnt going to be an easy answer to this one but any suggestions as to where I might start?

Thanks

AndySD 11:59 05 Nov 2005

What version operating system?

Do you know the make/model of the PC?

Do you know the make/model of the motherboard?

Do you know the make/model of the graphics card?

Do you know the make/model of the sound card?

If not try Everest Home Edition its free click here

chesterfield 17:07 05 Nov 2005

Hi Andy

If I give you all these details is that gonna help you decide whats wrong with it? Ive downloaded Everest but rather than being a problem fixer it looks like its going to generate reports that then in turn need to be analysed by some one with the appropriate technical knowledge - is this correct?

Thanks

VoG II 17:13 05 Nov 2005

You might find Belarc Advisor easier to use than Everest click here

It will tell you all we need to know.

PaulB2005 17:16 05 Nov 2005

The more we know about the set up the more we can deduce. Imagine ringing up your car mech and not telling him what car you have.

chesterfield 21:13 05 Nov 2005

Thanks VoG & PaulB2005

I understand Paul that someone would be able to assess the problem with more accuracy if they new what the constituent parts of my pc were. My thought was that it probably wouldnt be possible to work out the problem even by knowing these without hands on access to the machine. All the hardware has been put together by very reliable people so I cant imagine any clashes or peoblems going on there. I think that it most lightly that years of pilling all sorts of software on to (and off of!) the machine has made it unstable somehow. Let me know if you think my thinking is out on this though. Really appreciate all the advise. Off to try Belarc now!

chesterfield 21:20 05 Nov 2005

The Belarc Advisor has generated loads of info about my nachine but doesnt give any clues to what might be the matter with it? Am I missing something or do I need to present this report to someone who has the ability to analyse it for possible problems?

Thanks guys

VoG II 21:21 05 Nov 2005

What version operating system?

Do you know the make/model of the PC?

Do you know the make/model of the motherboard?

Do you know the make/model of the graphics card?

Do you know the make/model of the sound card?

woodchip 21:21 05 Nov 2005

If we do not know what OS how can we tell you how to mend it

jimv7 21:30 05 Nov 2005

Read the above advise, and answer the questions, its no use delving in the dark as to which pc and operating system you have, it might be a laptop to a desktop running anything from win 95 to xp to linux.

VoG II 21:36 05 Nov 2005

Using Everest or Belarc will not tell you how to fix yout PC. WE can, if you provide the information requested.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

HP Envy x2 review: Hands-on

Iconic New York graphic designer Milton Glaser on his uplifting new subway posters

New iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs rumours

Comment suivre le parcours du père Noël ?