PC keeps beeping, doesn't start up

jipderkman 18:21 14 Jan 2017

My PC (Medion Akoya P5315) keeps beeping when I turn it on. I've had this problem for a while, but 2 months ago it would start beeping when turning on, but when I would do it again, the PC would start up and start working perfectly fine. Looked on several forums and tried some solutions but none of them seem to help. The PC is around 4 years old, and one tip was to apply new thermal paste but my brother said that couldn't be it cause the pc wouldn't overheat that fast according to him. The heaviest things I did on the PC were probably playing Minecraft and GTA San Andreas. I've got no idea what to do. Please help.

wee eddie 18:45 14 Jan 2017

Check the PC's specification, particularly what type of MOBO it has fitted. Then go to the MOBO Manufacturers Website and look for the Beep Code. This should give you an indication of the problem

jipderkman 18:48 14 Jan 2017

Will do that tomorrow. Thanks a lot for your help.

wee eddie 18:53 14 Jan 2017

By the way. Continuous beeping usually suggests that there is a Memory problem,wwhich is frequently solved by reseating it

jipderkman 19:31 14 Jan 2017

Thanks. I'll just have look. Someone on a different post said continious beeping was a cpu error.

wee eddie 19:49 14 Jan 2017

That's why you need to go to the MOBO Manufacturer's Website and check the POST Codes. POST = Power On Self Test

jipderkman 11:35 15 Jan 2017

Had a look. I went to the Intel website and it was indeed a memory problem. The solution was reseating the memory. I watched a video about it just to be sure and I discharged my static electricity. I reseated them, put the side panel back on and installed all the cables. Guess what? Beeping again, and this time in another pattern, this pattern isn't even on intel's site.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:10 15 Jan 2017

Remove and refit the graphics card and retry.

Burn-it 15:53 15 Jan 2017

Tell us what the beep pattern is. We might be able to identify it.

And any other messages. noises, flashes or behavior. You have to be our eyes and ears. It is not easy to diagnose computer problems remotely without all the information, whether you think it is significant or not. That wierd tick that has been there since the machine was new just might be a clue to someone.

jipderkman 16:31 15 Jan 2017

The beep is around a second long and repeats every 2,5-3 seconds or so. Only stops when turning off the pc.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:00 15 Jan 2017

Any idea what BIOS you have, Award IBM DEll Pheonix?

I would reseat the RAM again

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Samsung Galaxy Book 2: Release date, price and specs

This First Man soundtrack vinyl cover art is exquisitely composed

How to watch Apple’s October 2018 iPad launch

Meilleurs VPN (2018)