PC just "stopped" finding router

kevonh 12:08 08 Nov 2008

Hi,

I'm having a bit of trouble with my wireless internet connection.

Yesterday when I went to turn on my computer I found that it had just 'stopped' finding our wireless internet connection, and I can't seem to find a reason why. The router is an Apple Airport (we have a mac as well)

This has happened before, but normally all it takes is a restart of the computer or router and the problem fixes itself. However this time nothing has helped.

Here's what's really bizarre about it:

- My PC still finds other wireless networks in the area

- The Mac finds the internet connection and connects with no problem.

I've tried all the usual, restarting the modem, restarting the PC - I even re-made the network connection via the Mac and removed any encryption, but that hasn't helped.

Does anyone have any idea what may be cause this and how the fix it? I'm tearing my hair out here!

mgmcc 14:02 08 Nov 2008

Try removing the existing wireless "profile" in the PC click here and then go through the procedure to "Connect" again; in other words, run the wireless adapter's software, scan for "Available Wireless Networks", find and highlight the one that matches your router's SSID (network name) and select the option to "Connect" to it. You should be prompted to enter any WEP or WPA encryption key and, once "Connected", the wireless adapter should get its IP address by DHCP from the router and you should have network and internet access.

If your wireless network still cannot be found, try changing the Channel number in the router's wireless settings. Also ensure it is configured to broadcast its SSID.

kevonh 15:01 10 Nov 2008

Thanks for your response.

The strange thing about this problem is that having tried all of that, nothing seemed to work. The internet connection would still not appear on the list of networks to connect to.

However, oddly enough the following morning, simply restarting the router again caused the computer to find the internet straight away and connect with no problem.

The problem seems to arise when the router is switched off. The fuse blew today, and when I switched the router back on, the PC could no longer find it again. I tried all the recommendations, and restarting the router/PC again but to no avail.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Inside the iMac Pro - Apple's most powerful Mac yet

iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs

Football : comment regarder la Ligue 1 en direct ?