PC intermittently freezes during gameplay

kmd88 00:20 14 Jun 2018

Hi folks, I've been experiencing PC freezes whilst playing a couple of games and I'm not sure how to pinpoint the issue so I'm hoping someone can help me figure it out!

It can be hours or minutes between each freeze.

When the freeze occurs my PC becomes totally unresponsive to input from keyboard or mouse.

The display freezes in place (no blue screen/black screen) and I cant ctrl alt del to launch task manager. Interestingly, in some games after the freeze, the game music still plays, whilst in others (civ 6) a high pitched 'crash noise' occurs.

When this occurs my only option is to manually power off and restart my PC.

Recent games that have frozen are:

• Jurassic world evolution
  • Civilisation 6
  • Skyrim

I recently did a replay of Starcraft 2 however, and my PC didn't crash once in 20 hours of gameplay.

To try and fix the issue I installed the latest graphics drivers using geforce experience to no avail.

Here is a list of my hardware:

• Operating System: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 17134) (17134.rs4_release.180410-1804)
  • System Manufacturer: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
  • BIOS: FA (type: UEFI)
  • Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700K CPU @ 4.00GHz (8 CPUs), ~4.0GHz
  • Memory: 16384MB RAM
  • DirectX Version: DirectX 12
  • Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070
  • Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN10DE&DEV1B81&SUBSYS119D10DE&REVA1
  • Power Unit: Corsair 550 W RM550x Series 80 PLUS Gold Full Modular ATX Power Supply Unit

I haven't overclocked or modified anything in my PC.

Hope you guys can help, and thanks for your time in advance.

kmd88 00:29 14 Jun 2018

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z170N-WIFI Socket 1151 DVI Dual HDMI 7.1 Channel audio Mini ITX Motherboard

wee eddie 03:00 14 Jun 2018

Take that tick off or everyone will think that you have solved the problem

kmd88 03:12 14 Jun 2018

Yeah for some reason it wont let me untick any of the answers, any idea how I do it?

wee eddie 11:25 14 Jun 2018

On the right of each entry is "a green tick" and the comment "is answer" in green.

On one, you will find the same "a green tick" and the comment "is not answer".

Left click this and it will revert to the first condition.

kmd88 12:53 14 Jun 2018

Thanks man. I think I've done it. :)

kmd88 12:59 14 Jun 2018

Hi folks, just to give another update. I tried to check if it was a temperature problem. When the last crash occurred my graphics card was at 82 degrees according to speccy.

After taking the side of the case off the temp of the graphics card is around 3 degrees cooler.

The game ran smoothly for around 5-6 hours. No crash. Which makes me think temperature problem. But not necessarily the graphics card. I thought it was normal for them to run up to 90 degrees before being considered overheating?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:08 14 Jun 2018

HAve you tried dusting off the graphics card or blowing the dust ou with a hairdryer on cool setting.

kmd88 14:00 14 Jun 2018

Yeah gave it a clean. There wasn't much dust in there to be honest but I got rid of what was there and hoovered fans etc.

wee eddie 16:07 14 Jun 2018

The dust that does the damage is that which clogs the air passage between the fins of the CPU's and GPU's Heat Exchanger, which are often encased

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Forza Horizon 4 review

Be Warned Mac users - Mojave Breaks Photoshop

iPhone tips & tricks

OnePlus 6T : date de sortie, prix et autres rumeurs