PC with Hi-Fi Speakers?

gplatt2000 17:29 09 Mar 2004

Hi all. I'm thinking of getting this MSI barebones PC - click here

but need to know something. As this can be used as a stereo, I want this to be my main stereo. I am also getting some new hi-fi speakers, (wharfedale Daimond 8.1), but would first like to know - is there a way of conecting these speakers to the pc? Rather than using some PC multimedia speakers i really wait to use these 'proper' hi-fi ones, but looking at MSI's site I cant see how the speakers would plug in?

Any comments greatly appreciated

Stuartli 17:32 09 Mar 2004

Your computer system would (almost certainly) not be able to drive the speakers - you will need to connect your sound card's audio output to your hi-fi amplifier and use them that way.

By the way Scan of Bolton sells both the Asus and MIS BareBones systems:

click here

Kinder Scout 17:36 09 Mar 2004

You will need an amplifier click here

Sir Radfordin 18:28 09 Mar 2004

If the PC has a soundcard then you can connect any speakers you like to it but you may have a problem with connections. I've changed 2 of my Creative 5.1 speakers for normal hi-fi speakers (nothing fancy mind!) and just used a phono lead to stripped cable and it works fine.

gplatt2000 22:06 09 Mar 2004

Thanks a lot for thhe answers, Ive had a quick look at amps and they dont seem as pricey as I thought, but Id still like to run the speakers form the PC - Sir Radfordin - which hole would I have to put the wires into?

Stuartli 08:56 10 Mar 2004

You are very likely to have problems driving hi-fi speakers from a computer system unless you link them via a proper amplifier.

Some hi-fi speakers require very powerful amps to get the best out of them and also high quality leads - I use mains cable for mine to drive them properly.

The connection to your hi-fi amp would be very simple from your soundcard using phono leads.

The soundcard manual will detail which socket to use (if it's a Creative the correct manual can be downloaded from its website very quickly and saved for future reference).

Have a look at Richer Sound if you decide to buy an amp:

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Dell XPS 13 9370 (2018) review

The art of 'British' pulp fiction

Best password managers for Mac

TV & streaming : comment regarder le Tournoi des Six Nations 2018 ?