PC heat reaching 80 degrees celcius while idle

MenKal 17:33 26 Dec 2015

I have an intel i5 4690k cpu and a zalman reserator 3 max for cooling. Today I started up my pc and noticed it was extremely slow. I checked the heat and it reached 90-100 degrees with only a browser open. I immediately opened the pc blew air everywhere to get rid of any dust but that did not help. I also checked all cables just to make sure but found nothing. I'm pretty sure I should just get some thermal paste but I won't be able to do that until tomorrow so I just wanted to ask if there are any known issues with the cooler or if anyone has something else to suggest.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:49 26 Dec 2015

Assume fan and pump are running?

fluff between fan and block?

Bris 19:19 28 Dec 2015

If FBs suggestions dont cure the problem it may be due to a known issue with Ivybridge upwards CPUs where Intel replaced the solder between the chip and the heat spreader with an inferior type of thermal paste.

Some enthusiasts have replaced the thermal paste with something similar to solder but to do this you have to "de-lid" the CPU.

This is not something I would do and it invalidates your warranty but if you want to have a go here is some information.

This is pretty much a case of last resort if all else fails.

1]: [click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Mi Mix 3 UK Review: Xiaomi's Flagship Slides Into The UK

2019's best up-and-coming illustrators

New Apple Products 2019: Predicting the new Apple products coming soon

Comment utiliser une manette PS4 ou Xbox One sur votre Mac ?