PC freezing

coolbawn 22:24 16 Jul 2004

Help. Got a PC spec Athlon 1.8, 256MG SDRAM, 64Mg Geforce4, 60Gb HD running Win Xp Pro. Keeps freezing after about 15-20 mins. No keyboard, mouse etc. Reboot and it works again ofr about 15-20 mins. Tried changing RAM but didn't work. Any ideas?

woodchip 22:27 16 Jul 2004

try a new graphics driver. Or check that CPU fan running OK. try it with side of computer

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:40 16 Jul 2004

Temporary File Cleaners:-
Crap Cleaner click here
Empty temp folders click here

Anti Spyware :-
Spywareblaster click here
Adaware click here
Spybot S&D click here

Clear all the crap from your drives i.e. tmporary internet files and run some anti spyware to get rid of programs that may be using all your resources.

Dorsai 22:52 16 Jul 2004

Overheating perhaps? Been there. If you have any temperature monitoring software try running it. See what it says

coolbawn 23:04 16 Jul 2004

Tried running it with sides off and still no joy. Case got two fans and CPU fan running ok. But got no temp monitoring software. Can I do this from windows or need new program?
Also run spybot etc to clear out anything. Temp files all deleted etc. Still no joy. Thanks ofr the tips though. Think it might be the mobo or cpu?

coolbawn 23:04 16 Jul 2004

Tried running it with sides off and still no joy. Case got two fans and CPU fan running ok. But got no temp monitoring software. Can I do this from windows or need new program?
Also run spybot etc to clear out anything. Temp files all deleted etc. Still no joy. Thanks ofr the tips though. Think it might be the mobo or cpu?

iamalipaul 23:28 16 Jul 2004

Hi coolbawn.

I have similar symtoms on my amd 1700 with XP pro, screen freezes and needs a reset or even poer off the on to cure. It happens normally in the first few minutes the PC is switched on an sometimes 7 or times before it is stable. then it will run for hours without a hiccup. I suspect over heating as it happens during hot weather when the room is very warm. my case is 5 years old and has only 1 fan (apart from the PSU). I have winbond which reports a cpu temp of 55-60 C but I have been told this may not be accurate.
Starting with the side panel off and a desk fan blowing into the case seems to cure it. now looking at ebuyer for a new case and better cooling for cpu, graphics etc...

may help you diagnose
ps I dont tinker with overclocking

hillybilly 23:35 16 Jul 2004

You should be able to check the temp from within the bios. When it freezes or whatever as you restart it go into the bios either press delete or F2 and have look around for hardware monitor, that will give a fairly acurate reading!

User-312386 23:53 16 Jul 2004

it sounds like you dont have enough memory to run windows

you could try changing the swap file

gold 47 01:28 17 Jul 2004

Running a AMD 2.8 temperature after 6hrs use between 50/56c.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Inside the iMac Pro - Apple's most powerful Mac yet

iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs

Football : comment regarder la Ligue 1 en direct ?