PC fan constantly running at top speed?

realist 17:18 20 Aug 2016

Have taken delivery of a new desktop pc and it is ok except for the fact that the fan cranks up to (a noisy) full speed when pc switched on and carries on like this until it is turned off. I queried this with supplier's help desk but they assured me that this is normal? Should I just accept that it is (normal)?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:31 20 Aug 2016

Make and model?

Is there a good air flow round it?

I wouldn't expect it to run at full speed unless it was working heavy on something, usually there are controllers built in to run the fans slower to keep the noise down.

As its new I would complain some more and threaten to send it back.

boyo123boyo 00:01 30 Aug 2016

PLEASE NOTE: NOT ALL FANS ARE FITTED WITH SPEED CONTROLLERS.

IF you look inside of the PC and check the fan cable, see if it is a 3 or 4 pin connector. If it's a 3 pin connector then it's normal.

Burn-it 14:53 30 Aug 2016

That sounds to me like the heatsink has not been fitted correctly to the CPU. I would check that - or get someone else to check it - before you use that machine as continued high temperatures WILL damage the CPU even though modern ones have a thermal cut off.

iscanut 16:15 30 Aug 2016

Press Ctrl Alt Del and bring up Task Manager and have a look at your CPU usage. See if anything is making a lot of use of the CPU and consider whether such a task or tasks could be disabled or removed. I have a HP laptop and a couple of the HP installed programs were taking up a lot of the CPU causing fan to run more than I thought it should. Disabled the programs and now it runs quiet.

Old Deuteronomy 20:36 30 Aug 2016

PLEASE NOTE: NOT ALL FANS ARE FITTED WITH SPEED CONTROLLERS.

It would be exceedingly unusual for a CPU cooler's fan to not be temperature controlled. Case fans are often not temperature controlled but, they also don't run at high enough speed to kick-up a considerable racket.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Samsung Galaxy Watch Active 2 review

Inside the new Apple Mac Pro: an in-depth look at Apple’s most powerful hardware yet

MacBook Pro 16in review: Hands-on

Apple MacBook Pro 16 pouces : prix et fiche technique