PC Does not reliably start up

Natasha Gilbert 15:43 06 Jan 2019

Hi, I have an oldish gaming PC that we recently got out of storage and updated to Windows 10. Once the computer turns on it runs like a dream and for hours on end. The issue I have it that it does not start up reliably. Sometimes when I hit the on button it starts up the whole tower but nothing appears on my monitor (which is a TV currently). I've tried seeing if there are any graphics card updates but apparently it's all up to date. I'm concerned it could be my motherboard on it's way out, but I really hope that isn't the case. Does anyone have any suggestions please? Thanks! :)

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:01 06 Jan 2019

Some details please - make and model? does it have a graphics card or is it running from onboard graphics?

wee eddie 16:07 06 Jan 2019

If it has been in storage for a while there is a high possibility of oxidation on the contact points of various plugs and connections.

Get a lead pencil and rub the tip over as many as you can access

Natasha Gilbert 16:13 06 Jan 2019

Thanks for the responses guys, good idea with the lead pencil too. Here are my specs..

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.4 OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Home, 64 bit Processor: AMD FX(tm)-8150 Eight-Core Processor, AMD64 Family 21 Model 1 Stepping 2 Processor Count: 8 RAM: 3994 Mb Graphics Card: AMD Radeon R9 200 Series, -1 Mb Hard Drives: C: 931 GB (828 GB Free); D: 0 GB (0 GB Free); E: 465 GB (354 GB Free); Motherboard: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC., SABERTOOTH 990FX R2.0 Antivirus: Windows Defender, Enabled and Updated

Natasha Gilbert 16:16 06 Jan 2019

It was custom built by the chap that had it before me.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:10 06 Jan 2019

Remove and refit the graphics card.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Huawei Mate 30 Pro Review: Hands-on

Fred Deakin on creating the artwork for his sci-fi rock opera The Lasters

Best iOS 13 features: What does iOS 13 do

Les meilleures enceintes connectées avec écran tactile (2019)