PC does not boot after adding 2 SSDs

Henrik Vollstad 20:29 29 Jan 2018

I bought this prebuilt computer (Norwegian site, use google translate to see parts) I already own 2 SSDs, thought I would put them in. Connected them to the PSU and motherboard with SATA. I give the computer power and try to boot. The computer makes a slight sound but no indication that it was going to boot up.

I thought one of the SSDs was faulty so I tried to connect with only one, it did not work. I disconnect everything so it's stock and it boots up like normal.

I read in an article this might be because of lack of power, but my PSU is a 750. I do a have a demanding graphics card though (1080Ti).

The computer stock has a Samsung PM961 SSD 512GB M.2 NVMe & a Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5'' HDD

Any advice? :)

beeuuem~2 21:50 29 Jan 2018

With the SSDs installed look at the BIOs and make sure that the boot order is correct i.e. the first boot HDD is the one with your operating system installed.

Henrik Vollstad 21:53 29 Jan 2018

The computer does not power on with the extra SSDs installed, so I can't check the BIOs :/

beeuuem~2 22:20 29 Jan 2018

Good point!

beeuuem~2 22:30 29 Jan 2018

Although your graphics card can use up to 250w the SSDs don't take that much power, usually no more than 5W, with your PSU I wouldn't have thought it was a power issue.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:43 30 Jan 2018

Connect only one SSD at a time and with no HDD will it boot to BIOS?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Huawei Mate 20 Pro review: In-depth hands-on

See concept art from groundbreaking video games including The Last of Us, Journey and No Man's Sky

iPhone XR release date, price & specs

Les meilleurs VPN pour Kodi (2018)