PC Clock losing time when switched off

freaky 15:53 10 Mar 2005

My clock has stated to lose about 5 hrs per day when the PC is off.

I understand that if I replace the MOB battery, then all my BIOS settings will be lost.

Is there anyway that I can save these settings, then re-install them afterwards?

Alternatively, is it possible to replace the battery with the PC on so that the BIOS settings will not be lost?

Many thanks,
freaky.

pk470 16:19 10 Mar 2005

No you won't loose your bios settings in the time it takes to change the battery.

uisquebeathus 16:25 10 Mar 2005

There is a small Lithium cell battery on the motherboard and this is going flat. switch off (hold onto the outer case as you do this to earth any static from your body)and disconnect your pc from the mains, open the case and you should see on the bottom of the motherboard, it is held in by a spring device, with a small thin flat head screwdriver carefully depress the spring and it should come out. Be carefull not to touch anything else with the screwdriver or scratch the mother board, the battery code is possibly a CR2032 or CR 2024 and are available from most Pc Shops and Stores also Curry's, Pc World and good electrical stores

VoG II 16:28 10 Mar 2005

With pictures click here

uisquebeathus 16:28 10 Mar 2005

a Small PS Is That when You do chnge the battery the clock will revert to the Manufature date of the Motherboard, you will have to enter the BIOS to reset the Date and Time.

Fingees 17:09 10 Mar 2005

You can always write all your bios settings down just in case you lose them on changing battery, it's only a matter of re entering then.
Mind you if you've never altered anything, and still using default settings, this won't be necessary.

freaky 19:12 10 Mar 2005

Wrote "No you won't loose your bios settings in the time it takes to change the battery.

No disrespect to what pk470 states above, but can anybody else confirm that this is true please?

freaky 10:56 13 Mar 2005

Many thanks to all who replied to my post. I am pleased to state that the problem has resolved itself. For some reason the clock is now OK.....possibly the milder weather!

Many thanks to all who replied to my post. I am pleased to state that the problem has resolved itself. For some reason the clock is now OK.....possibly the milder weather!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

HP Envy x2 review: Hands-on

Iconic New York graphic designer Milton Glaser on his uplifting new subway posters

New iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs rumours

Comment suivre le parcours du père Noël ?