PC Cases

Mastermind 11:19 25 Jul 2003

I was after a case for my girlfriend's computer and then one for myself at a later date.

I wanted to get the same make so that the drive rails would be
interchangeable.
I was looking at the following:
click here
click here

However, the smaller of the two only has a 300W PSU. I could have bought my case (DA-01W) at the same time and moved the 360W from that into the smaller case. Then I would have to buy a new PSU when I build my PC. I might have to do this anyway since it may need more than 360W.

Then I found this by Antec, another good manufacturer:
click here

This case has a 350W Antec PSU.

However, they don't do any cases as big as the Chieftec DA-01W, so I don't know what to get.

My options are:
1. Buy the DH-01 and DA-01 then swap the 360W PSU into the DH-01, leaving myself to buy a new PSU when I build my computer. This would mean I'd have to store the large case somewhere until I build my computer.
2. Buy the Antec SX835II. Then buy a second, identical case for myself at a later date. (I still may have to buy a new PSU for myself.) The problem with this is that this case may not be big enough for me.
3. Buy the Antec SX835II. Then buy a Chieftec case for myself at a later date. (I still may have to buy a new PSU for myself.) The problem here is that the drive rails wouldn’t be interchangeable.

What do you all think?

Smiler 11:58 25 Jul 2003

I have a Suntek Viper full tower unit from Dabs click here
this only has a 300 watt psu but I have no problems with power. My setup is Abit KT7raid Motherboard 1.2 Athlon (Sometimes overclocked to 1.4) 80GB Maxtor hdd 80GB & 40GB Quantum Fireball hdd, 2CDRW's (1 Plextor 40x12x40 & 1 Generic 24x10x24), Iomega Zip 100,Creative labs sound card and Live! drive, 4usports & pci card with 2 more, 4-80mm case fans a double hard disk fan, MM100PCTV(UK) televison card, Radeon 250 9000pro video card with Samsung 17" flat screen monitor attached, simbios logic scsi card with HP scanjet C5110A flatbed scanner attached. Olypus ES-10 film scanner from parrallel port, Epson photo 895 printer from usb port,pci network card to laptop, usb cable modem usb mouse & serial mouse and a usb game pad. I have considered a larger psu but as I have no problems why waste money. Try out your system of choice before changing psu and see if it can cope.

Mastermind 12:28 25 Jul 2003

What do you think of the Suntek case you have?

Smiler 13:36 25 Jul 2003

Very good, loads of space, well made, easy access for fiddling and installing new cards. As I said before the psu has performed well. If you go to the Dabs site you can also access the Suntek site and have a look at their full range. Good Luck

Forum Editor 13:41 25 Jul 2003

why the question of the drive rails should be so important - the drives will all fit any case, so surely (from that point of view at least) it doesn't matter?

Mastermind 13:44 25 Jul 2003

I think I'll stick with the cases I was looking at origionally this time.

Can anyone else help me decide between the following options?

1. Buy the DH-01 and DA-01 then swap the 360W PSU into the DH-01, leaving myself to buy a new PSU when I build my computer. This would mean I'd have to store the large case somewhere until I build my computer.

2. Buy the Antec SX835II. Then buy a second, identical case for myself at a later date. (I still may have to buy a new PSU for myself.) The problem with this is that this case may not be big enough for me.

3. Buy the Antec SX835II. Then buy a Chieftec case for myself at a later date. (I still may have to buy a new PSU for myself.) The problem here is that the drive rails wouldn’t be interchangeable.

Smiler 15:30 25 Jul 2003

As th FE says what is the problem with drive rails as drives are standard

Bodi 15:49 25 Jul 2003

order a case Ref. No. CSE-MID-4618D from

click here

The case is cheap enough to make a change of PSU viable - and providing I can fit an adequate cooling system - this should look great with black accessories.

Take a look, it has quite a selection of cases.

Bodi

Mastermind 12:02 26 Jul 2003

I had been advised on another forum that drive rails with different brands were different and that if I wanted to be able to swap drives between PCs I'd have to stick to one brand, in this case Chieftec or Antec.

I wanted to be able to swap drives between PCs without having to swap the drive rails over.

Mastermind 15:55 26 Jul 2003

Are the Antec and Chieftec drive rails the same then?

-pops- 16:40 26 Jul 2003

Notwithstanding drive rails possibly being different, bear in mind that the connectors to the various devices using the drive rails are not intended to be constantly connected/disconnected. The pins of IDE devices are quite fragile thus easily bent or broken. The more times they are moved around, the more the chances of this happening.

If you want to swap things between machines you would be much safer using a wired/wireless link or copy to a disk.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

8 brilliant character artists speaking at Pictoplasma 2018

iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs

Football : comment regarder la Ligue 1 en direct ?